G-D IRS, I hate them

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JCBRAVE, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Usually the winners are forced to sell off half their winnings to pay the taxes, so I've been told. Not sure if that's really what happens, but after going thru this, I believe they do.

2. jdog

jdog I like beer!

First off let me say that I trust the IRS completely as they should trust because I am an honest upstanding tax payer and this forum may be monitored.:)
    If you not going to use all the cards maybe it is possible to donate them to charity in some manner as a writeoff.
    This only a suggestion since I am also not a CPA.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I have trouble with the IRS also, and it sucks, yes; but keep your anger focused where it should be: your Congressmen wrote those tax laws, and they are designed to keep themselves rich and you poor. DO NOT vote for someone calling for "lower taxes"... that's a copout because it's an overgeneralization and it's easy to avoid actually doing. Ask which specific tax laws he would seek to abolish.

4. JCBRAVE

I might just craigslist the extra stuff before its too late. All the stuff is good til July. That way I can get some Charlie Sheen gambling money for next weekend in Atlantic City. So that's my plan, make back what ever I can, then put it all on black.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Richard Hatch the original winner of survivor failed to pay his taxes on his 1 million dollar "prize" and is now in jail.

Pay your taxes. Yes, when you win something you pay large taxes on it, same goes for gambling and lottery winnings.

6. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Talk to a tax accountant...there is a form that you can submit with your tax return that allows you to pay the taxes in installments. If you are paying as planned you actually have quite awhile to pay them off.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

It's also possible that if you don't use some of the vouchers, you might be able to dispute whether or not they were actually "income" for you. Especially if they expire, and are no longer worth anything. Tax is not my area of expertise, but I would look into it at least.

8. JCBRAVE

Okay so here's an update. I've talked to some people more qualified than myself about what my options are. Apparently because all the stuff I won wasn't redeemed and didn't come in card form, I can itemize what I did use, and refile an amended tax return. I'm still on the hook for something, just not the $5k. I feel that if the IRS is going to get something out of me, they better earn it. I'm obviously not the first person this has happened to, and the IRS website was helpful in showing me what I need to do.

9. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I wouldn't worry too much... the IRS too busy auditing all of the undocumented income earned by the Auburn Tiger Football teams over the years.

10. JCBRAVE

Believe me, I'm not losing any sleep over this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar