Game plan for the Colts

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

For anyone who watched them last week against the Packers, the Colts DL is very suspect against the run and I don't see them slowing down the Titans run game without a lot of support from their LBs. I expect the Titans to do some play-action with dumps off to CJ in the flat or quick stuff to the TE behind the LBs to keep them honest. We may see Scaife or Crumpler line up wide just to help open up the middle.

I don't see Collins going deep very often though we may see a few deep shots just to loosen up the Colts. He should get a lot of 1-on-1 matchups.

I think LenDale will be very effective tonight. If I am Fisher, I pound it and wear down their defense. Hall will be slamming a LB as will Crumpler on these plays. I think it pays off in the second half when CJ busts some big runs.

Tonight we may get to see Johnson and White on the field together for a few plays. This is the game Dinger may have some creative ways to get CJ the ball in space. Expect CJ to be effective as a decoy as well.

Defensively, the corners have to disrupt the timing of the WRs. The DL has to keep Manning moving. He'll look for Clark and the Titans have to do a better job over the middle. Rhodes can be effective coming out of the backfield. The LBs have to tackle well and keep Manning in second and third-and-long.

All the standard cliches about protecting the football and playing special teams comes to mind. If the Titans get a decent lead early, it could be a beat down.

Thoughts?

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

i think i'm fired up Jeff!

3. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

TJ, I agree on all points. I especially agree on the play of the CBs. Green Bay played Harrison and Wayne physical off the lines and were in their face the whole time. Manning whined and moaned every time they dropped or missed a pass as interference, but he has to get over it...they are not going to call it everytime someone touches their WRs anymore.

I am concerned more about the CBs playing 5-7 yds off like they seem to do and having them bite on the double moves...Harrison made McCallister look stupid on that when the Colts beat the Ratbirds.

I also think our WRs have got to play the game of their season so far. They are going to be played physical as well...and they are going to have to catch balls that are not sitting out on a plate for them. Gage and Jones cannot drop easy or catchable balls tonight because I am guessing this could be another game where Collins may not attempt more than 20-25 passes at most.

However, you have it all the salient points about the game tonight. We have to pound the crap out of Indy with the run and control the clock...an ultimate FisherBall game...

Man...do I smell ribs already????

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i watched some of that game, and there were times when the line of scrimmage moved five yards.

5. whutaboutGump

whutaboutGump Naw mean?

Run the ball if you get an early lead, keep Manning guessing on the sideline.

Voila.. you win.

Turn the ball over and let us get a lead early, Colts win going away.

I personally think this will be a very close game, with Manning winning it with a last minute drive.

6. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Dallas Clark over the middle is their only hope. Peyton won't have enough time to get the ball down field often enough to be hurting us too bad with the deep ball, and they're simply not going to run on us without Addai. We'll probably have the ball for 36 minutes and win by 12 points, thats my guess. Gameplan: Run it down their throat, Sack Peyton, win.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

So long as we get a hat on their LBs, our running game won't be stopped. Expect to see a lot of 2 TE sets and counters etc to wall of their O-Line.

I agree that Lendale will get the bulk of the early carries.

My biggest concern on D is Fuller on Wayne. The Colts will come out with a lot of 3 WR, 1 TE sets and will motion Wayne into the Slot to try and get him a free release. I am not concerned about Hope/Griffin on Clark and I don't think Manning will have enough time to consistently take advantage of deep balls to Harper's side, but Fuller needs to play Wayne tough or that will be an area the Colts can exploit.

Manning's knee is still clearly bothering him as well, so the more pressure we bring, the more he is likely to get happy feet.

8. Amishboy

Amishboy Camp Fodder

I've always thought we should run Smash first and Dash in the second half when the D is tired.

9. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

10. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I think it is pretty simple. On defense, we have to hit Manning. A lot. I'm talking about something like 20 knockdowns. He needs to become very familiar with what the stars look like from the grass at LP Field.

On offense, we just need to run it down their throat. With Bob Sanders out, I see no reason why we can't put up the kind of numbers like we did on Kansas City last week.

And one other note, if we have any kind of trick plays involving Vince Young in the playbook, tonight will be the night we see them.

I'm pumped. So ready for 7:30. Go Titans!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar