Games we miss..

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Finnegan2win, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I've been feeling a bit nostalgic lately about a game that's beginning to fade away, called Subspace or Continuum. I expect this post to be long.. the game basically got me through me high school and even though I haven't played it in probably 2 years, I've checked up on it and the population has gone from thousands to a few hundred. Most on the game were around the same age, mid teens give or take a few years.. so it's not surprising most people left around the same time I started moving away from it.

I guess I should give a quick description of the game before I go on. The game was segmented into "zones", which were different themes/gameplay modes, ranging from a Death Star Battle zone to a Metal Gear zone. Most zones featured flags as the main objective, but most people just played to get kills naturally. Within these zones there were various events and other arenas that featured things as hockey, zombies, soccer, dodgeball.. you get the picture.The main draw for me was probably the chat and squad features..this was back when the internet was new.

My subspace "career" consisted on 3 stages.. beginning, transition, and ending.

Beginning: Name = Sir Spanky
    Total Usage: 901 hours 25 minutes
    First played: 6-1-2001 0:19:42

I started in a zone called Super Ships, which featured ships that were.. "super", as the ships had been modified to fire continuously without losing energy as most every other zone had. I got my beginning here and soon took over a squad which I eventually made into the #2 squad in the zone. There were "squad wars" which were basically 6v6 duel fests, we barely lost to the squad that had dominated the zone for years.. =)

Some screenshots from that zone:

[​IMG]
    http://i44.tinypic.com/hvudsp.jpg

After a year or year 1/2, my squadmates began to disappear so I looked for a new zone to call home, and thus changing my name to start fresh.

Transition: Name = ShocK TroopeR.
    Total Usage: 1645 hours 4 minutes
    First played: 10-27-2002 22:5:33

This period was spent in the newly created Metal Gear zone, which featured various types of "soldiers", with scouts for flag capturing, juggernauts to kill everything in one hit, gunners to defend against scouts, and other ship types. Again I took over a squad, called R e c o n, and within a few months I built it up to be a powerhouse in the dueling arenas, while lacking an all around team for the CTF leagues. I was a renowned "recwhore", going for records like 100-0 or 200-0 kill/death ratios..which was a source of alot of hate towards me and Recon ..which I liked =)

During the first CTF league we placed 2nd again (a theme =/), but this was probably my most satisfying time as I built the squad up from scratch and had fun in doing so. At one point there was probably between 50-60 active members that I had recruited myself. I eventually got banned, the squad began to fizzle away and again I looked for a new zone. I was in this zone for some 2-3 years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://i39.tinypic.com/25jyxoo.jpg
    http://i41.tinypic.com/309scwx.jpg
    Last screen.. top left corner has the stats, 200-0 =)

Ending: Name = brainy
    Total Usage: 4948 hours 44 minutes
    First played: 2-6-2004 1:13:14

My final zone I was apart of was Death Star Battle, which was probably the hardest, most skillful zone in the whole game. Every ship had a counter, the teams were divided as rebels against the empire, each side had 4 ships and the ships were similar to their respective counterparts, but each ship had it's advantages. "Spiders" were long range bombers, very weak armor, while the "shark" was a slow moving bomber with heavier armor. The emp ships featured the leviathan which had a single line stream of bullets, but they were very powerful if you could aim them, while the opposing lancer was nimble and could fire infinite emps.

I was here for probably 5 years, began in a squad called Scythe which a part of the "amateur" division in their league. I recruited for Scythe but never led it, which was a bit of relief. I played in Scythe for 2 leagues and after we underperformed, I joined a "professional" division squad called LEGO, where I didn't have to recruit and I could just play, and was expected to excel. The map was divided in to 4 sectors, North - South - East - West, I played West/Core, which featured 6 sets of 4 flags, 24 out of 100 flags. West was for flaggers, East was for killers, North was a combo of both, South was just running and flagging. I played 2 or 3 leagues with LEGO, winning a championship my first season. I don't have many personal screens of this zone.

[​IMG]

I just felt like sharing this for no reason other than for my own memory.. I spent a lot of time in that game (if you hadn't noticed ;p), simply fond memories as I watch it fade away..

Other stories are welcome.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Super Tecmo Bowl.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

You spent like 7500 hours on a game???

That's almost a year's worth of gaming.

4. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Yeah, I started it in 2001 according to my usage stats and I was active through 2009 I'd guess.

Every weekend there were league matches from 16gmt to 20gmt so it'd be like Sunday football all weekend. But those hours also counted idle times.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Ridge Racer arcade game.

Spent a fortune behind that wheel. It never got old for me.

6. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

I had 294 days /played on my EQ account before I sold it. I started that account when I was 11. Sure, a lot of it was spent afk overnight. That is still a lot of days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar