Gary Brackett?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Been pondering the linebacker situation, and given the Titans' lack of a 2nd round pick in the 2010 draft, I've wondered if the Titans would try to return to the well, so to speak, and lure Gary Brackett away following the Super Bowl, much the same way they did David Thornton.

The big No's I see as issues are:

1) Several teams would be interested in Brackett
    2) Colts may actually try to re-sign one of their linebackers for a change
    3) Brackett is physically exactly the same as Stephen Tulloch (5'11 235 lbs), and of course, both play MLB.
    4) Titans have historically preferred tall, rangy linebackers. Kind of hard to believe they would be okay with shrinking the overall size of the starting corps.

Good reasons I can see it happening:

1) Question marks on both Bulluck and Thornton mean this makes a lot of sense, IMO.
    2) Brackett is one of the few MLBs who has been pretty valuable in coverage in the past. Though not as productive recently, he had three seasons in a row where he made 2, 3, and 4 INTs in a season, IIRC.
    3) Tulloch could move to SAM. Thornton, if not released or injured, would move to WILL.
    4) Without Bulluck, there needs to be another leader on defense. Brackett, much like Thornton, is a very class act.

Just a thought I've been mulling over recently, but Brackett is one FA that I've heard no one mention at all.

2. DaKid937

DaKid937 Camp Fodder

Colts are not letting Brackett go.

3. Symon

Symon Camp Fodder

theres no way they let their defensive captain go

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I don't think he's an option for us.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

After he wins or doesn't win his 2nd SuperBowl, he may decide to take the highest offer.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

And that would be....... Not us.

I'd gladly accept him, we snatch half of the Colts FA's anyways so no problem for me. But you said the very reason we wouldn't get him.

7. AH3

AH3 Rookie

I'd rather trade up for McClain. He might even fall to us.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Well, I thought the same thing...I put the poison pill in the sentence. However, we were the high bidder for Thornton's services, and without Bulluck, the Titans are free to spend a little more at the position. Maybe not KB level money, but they could pay him $6-7M/year pretty easily.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Doubtful, but if he was there when the Seahawks pick, I'd say give them our pick and LW for #14, which I think could work.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

F Gary Brackett. He's a Colt, and the only reason I'd want us to get another Colt is so we could tie them up and kill them slowly.

And for that- I'd be ok if we traded Chris Johnson and Finnegan for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar