Gene Chizik?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yossarian, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

can this guy recruit?

because at least Zook had that going for him!

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

In Chizik's defense... he was a great d-coordinator while at Auburn.

As an Auburn alum though, this reeks of the good ole boy boosters getting the guy they wanted. It was no secret down in the burn' that the booster were NEVER fans of Tubberville.

Anyone remember the "middle of the night" flight to Louisville to try and talk Bobby Petrino into taking over as Auburn HC??

I think it has a lot less to do with race than the media and Charles Barkley would like to make everyone believe... but it probably played a small factor.

3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

How many black head coaches has the Big 10 had?

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Who cares? Schools should hire the best coach not the blackest.

5. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I was just asking the question since all of these accusations of racism are focused on the South, again. It seems unfair to focus this discussion on the South when it is, obviously, a nation-wide problem. Just trying to stand up for my southern brethren.

6. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Hmmm.....lets look at it like this. In a Sport in which at least HALF of the players are Black, one would think that there would be JUST as many coaches if not more. Instead there are only a handful. While I agree with EddyC notion that the BEST coach for the position should be hired, I do not think it is happening. The Auburn job just makes a perfect example of the "good ole boy" club, and why the Rooney Rule should exist in college football.

I am a fan of the Rooney rule. If applied right, it opens the door for many people. A coach can come in, who was not even considered, and perhaps impress people enough to get hired, or get hired some where else. It is sad that this is what has to happen, but the fact remains that our society is the way it is.

Maybe racism did not play a part in the Auburn job, but to believe that racism of some sort does not play a HUGE part in the fact that you can count the number of black coaches on one had is ignorant.

If someone has a better reason on why there are not more black coaches in NCAA football, I would love to hear it. Please enlighten me. This is all my opinion, and I would love to hear yours.

Perhaps this needs to go to Taboo. Lets move it there if so, but this is a topic I would love to discuss.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

The reason there are more black athletes is because they're better at it.
    There could be more white coach's because they're better at that.

8. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Hoffa,

I would argue that there are not more black athletes. That total is near equal. For you to say that white coaches are better at coaching is in itself a racial mindset (no I am not calling you a racist Hoffa). One can not be better at anything because of the color of their skin. We are all humans. But that is another argument totally.

Do not get my argument wrong. I am not saying we should just go out there and HIRE a person because they are a certain color. I am saying that this country has gone through whole racial revolution recently (20th Century-Present), and college football has not caught up.

College football is ran by the boosters, donors, alumni with money. I am a firm believer that an outside source needs to come in an regulate it. The whole BOWL system is a joke. It makes tons of money, but it is still a joke. I know I am getting off topic, but it is all laterally related.

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Here's the thing other than Turner Gill who are potential black coaches in college football?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar