Givens to wear #89

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanium, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

89 was a good player...

He wasn't god. To suggest that nobody should be wearing wycheck's number is goofy.

You don't retire the number of a TE because he made two pro bowls.
  2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I'm pretty sure Givens wore the number 18 during his rookie preseason (at the time a number indicative of being a low draft choice). I was kind of hoping he'd go back to that as a way of saying "look at me now".
  3. LazyManJackson

LazyManJackson Starter

Who gives a damn about numbers

It's a sport for crying out load, I can understand the Bears retiring Walter Payton's number but teams move on.

I don't care!!!
  4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

So you'd be good with someone coming in and wearing #27 as well?
  5. maximus

maximus Camp Fodder

Of course not, but a TE with over 500 career receptions
  6. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

It was bound to happen at some point; Wycheck would probably prefer that 89 will be worn by a proven vet instead of a rookie.
  7. maximus

maximus Camp Fodder

The Titansonline.com roster doesnt have Givens with a number yet, where kdid you get it
  8. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(meltdown)

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

O.k. I'm better now. This sucks, but is was inevitable. I'm pretty sure I remember Bud saying that he is not retiring any more numbers. Someone will be wearing 27 soon too. I won't like that either. Just like I'll hate to see a 9 on somebody else.
    This guy better be the real deal though. I'll lead the boo-birds if he doesn't outperform Bennett...
  9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think so but I do think it's nice to leave those numbers open for a while when you can. But the rules to use a particular range of numbers may have forced the issue here since 89 is the only open number right now.
  10. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

"I can't say enough about what Eddie meant to the team. I rated him right up there with Earl. I can't pay him a higher compliment than that. We are going to retire his number, his 27. But we had hoped he would wear it a little longer." - Bud Adams in the Houston Chronicle, July 24, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.