Givens using the Titans?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I've not done well with the gut feelings lately but I think David Givens is using the Titans to drive up his price to get more from the Pats.

It looked like he was ready to sign with the Pats and cancels a trip to Houston only to come anyway and reject an offer and head to Nashville. It looks like a fishing expedition to me.

I hope I'm wrong.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

You're not

that's exactly what's happening

3. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Can't be sure.

But think about it logically, and TJ sounds right to me. Why would he leave the Pats really? Get the best of both worlds, stay on an established playoff contender (and winner), stay on with a great QB who's established a good trust with you, AND get more money. If it makes dollars, it makes sense.

4. It's not that abnormal. How many times does a free agent give his former team a chance to match or beat another team's proposal. As long as they don't just want to move on to a different team, it's normal. And some would rather stay where they were, just with a better contract.

5. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

The entire Givens free agency has smelled fishy so far. First, the report on the Browns' website that Givens had agreed to a contract, later denied by Givens' agent, Brad Blank, who blamed it on a hacker. Second, conflicting reports from Miami, one saying Givens was not offered a contract and one saying he was. Third, going to Houston to receive an offer that was only 74% of his asking price. Surely his agent wouldn't have sent him there for a visit if the numbers were that far apart. (Only $6.5M, but who's counting?)

Do I blame Givens for all this and for attempting to use the Titans? No.

On the other hand, his agent is a lawyer, and as Starkiller would tell you, it's the agent's job to get the best deal for his client. The end justifies the means, right? ;)

Maybe Floyd Reese will make an offer that Givens accepts and you'll be proven wrong in your suspicions.

6. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

When will we find out dangit!

7. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Probably when he re-signs in New England.

8. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

Of course he's using us...but there's always the bling, bling. He wants to stay in NE, who wouldn't. He gave Houston a look-see because he's from there ala LeCharles. Now he's using us and Miami and whoever else to get NE to give him $4+ per year. He really should be getting about what Bryant got from the Niners....he's inflated more because he's from NE than for his production. I think Reese made such a big push because no one else is out there.....David Boston, Dez White, Josh Reed, Ike Hilliard....I mean no one close to a #1 guy.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

:ha:

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Pretty sure Samari Rolle tried it when he was a Free Agent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar