GM Arm Chair - Your ideal offseason

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titans1839, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titans1839

titans1839 Starter

Maybe, there are downsizes. They will have to give him a larger contract sooner and he is older and un-proven. Hasn't really played at all last few years. I could see them doing that. Which QB do they like more?

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Not a big fan of your free agent signings but great draft! Only problem is...in your free agency/draft, we only got 1 cb? Who's playing CB and nickel with Adoree?

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Because he's a me first player who doesn't take to coaching well or being disciplined within the system. The best defenses need players to play within the scheme and not give up their responsibility!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I don't think Poe is anywhere near as good as he was as a rookie. He's good but not break the bank good which is what he'll want. I'd pass on Hightower since I don't think he'd be as effective here as with NE because we'd use him differently...which is not what I want to spend a gajillion dollars on. I like Bouye!

Very good draft and could see this happening though I think Engram will go in round 2 and I think Switzer will go in round 3 or 4. But I like your draft.

I like Tabor but his run support is marginal. I think he can really cover, but he likes to dive at ankles and that won't cut it in the NFL. On the other hand, he at least understands force/contain.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the likelihood we take a pass rusher in the first 3 rounds.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Not sure Church covers well enough for us to take him considering pass D has been a major weakness. If we are gonna have him live in the box with Byard staying deep middle...ok. But there are better S's in this draft so unless he comes cheap...Id pass. And I'd sign Patterson for maybe $2mil a year to be a kr and a 4th or 5th wr. He's not gonna be our #3 and do much for us.

I'm the driver of the Ryan/Bouye train!!! Choo choo!

Solid draft. If we got Adoree Jackson in the 3rd (might need to get him where you took Jones), then he alone solves four spots...nickel CB, PR, KR and gunner. No need for Patterson.

6. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

Okay I'm not getting super in-depth with what I want because I only have a few key pieces that I'm really interested in. I trust JR to fill in the gaps.

Free Agency

Alshon Jeffery - #1 receiver and he blocks great.. would fit our system almost perfectly. This may have to come from a trade with the Bears after they franchise him.

Stephon Gilmore or Amukamara - We need a FA CB that can start, would prefer Gilmore here.

DJ Hayden - Another CB I like but this would be depth, not starting.

Barry Church - He's good and he's from Toledo, that's really my only reasons.

Julius Thomas - Rumored he will be cut. We will need him for a 1 year contract only... no long term.

Manti Teo - Probably decently cheap, he was quietly doing well before injury this last season and did well the season before too. Not a plug and play starter but he would be great depth.

DRAFT

Lattimore with the #5 pick
    Best value @ #18 pick
    Jake Butt in the 3rd round

And honestly in this scenario if JROB liked a different CB in the first he could take them. I'm just choosing Lattimore because it seems like he is the consensus #1 cb at this point.

This would patch up our secondary almost overnight and our offense would be stacked. Mariota/Murray/Henry/Delanie/Butt/Alshon/Matthews....

[​IMG]

#66 VondyP, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Your 3 priority free agents we won't sign as they could cost upwards of $45mil in money. Poe and Campbell aren't young and Berry probably only has 3+ seasons left too. Can't invest that much money on those players right now. Plus, I think Poe is on the downside of his career. Campbell is excellent but not as good as he used to be. I understand the need for an excellent big NT (say Brandon Williams off the Ravens) but the rest of our DL is pretty good.

I like Teo and Jordan as 'sleeper' guys in that maybe we can get them on prove it deals and if they do well, sign them long term. Leary is a guy I think we REALLY need to go after. Dallas runs a similar run game to ours and I think he's a nice upgrade.

Amukamara played well for Jags but he won't be cheap unless (again) he finds no suitors. On a cheaper deal...sure. But he's not great and wants money like he's great.

Id sign Marshall. Id pass on Haden! If they are cut! Rather have Marshall than Jeffrey!

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I don't want any part of Jeffrey. He'll want Dez money as is one strike away from losing a year. And then we are back to square one. And now he's too much of an up and down player. For that kind of money and his risk? I'll pass!

I don't want to spend $10-11mil/yr on an ok starting cb. I wouldn't spend that on Prince. Hayden you want for nickel? Better options IMO. Church is a good run stopper but limited in coverage. Thomas and Teo on prove it contracts would be nice but I think someone will sign Thomas long term.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

This is alshon's first suspension, he's nowhere near 1 strike from being out. Please stop feeding that narrative. I also believe he is up and down because he had Cutler as a QB, who is about as up and down as QBs come. He has 1000 yard seasons almost every year. (would have been this year too if not for the suspension) Also as I said... great run blocker. We run... a lot, perfect fit.

We have to spend SOMETHING on CB this year and those are my 2 favorites of the available, I'm not sure where else we could really turn. And I don't think Amukamara will demand 10m+

Hayden for pennies, yes. Doubt he will cost a lot, and he's still young.

And honestly I only picked Thomas because in this scenario we are taking Jake Butt, who will likely not play next season, so really any vet TE on a 1 yr contract would work here. Just until Butt gets healthy.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I just checked. If Jeffery has another positive test he'll get a 10 game suspension...which is basically two thirds of the season. No thanks! Playing mediocre (for him) in a contract year and having a positive test...isn't the kind of thinking and effort I'm looking for. Could he play great here? He could. But that's a big gamble and not sure the Titans want to take it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar