GM for a day (draft day)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Bayou Titan, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

You wouldn't be going after him only because of Chow. You'd be going after him because he's still a heckuva talent.

He didn't get drafted top five for nothing, even if he only had one year under Chow in college.

I would definitely consider it, but only if it was the right value proposition for the Titans (compared to what's likely to be on the board at their pick). I think it's only on the table if McNair either hangs them up or they reach an impasse on his contract renegotiation -- possible because McNair isn't likely to want to commit to some number of years where the Titans know they won't be stuck eating all the dead money (say) in 2007 or whatever.

Otherwise, if McNair is back in '06, I think the Titans are more likely to just look for a day one pick at QB (maybe first round, maybe not).

2. SuperFreak90

SuperFreak90 Starter

Draft AJ Hawk, trade Billy Volek for a draft pick. Sign a vet DB,WR and draft the best available players in the draft.

3. CriticalTheory

CriticalTheory WestSide 718 ShadowMafia!

No Calfolks!!!

Please no "Projects"

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

As GM, I'd try to upgrade OLINE and LB via FA. Thus addressing 2 of our major needs before the draft. That would allow me on draft day to take BPA and not draft for need. Although in the back of my mind I'm hoping to either trade down to get more picks and then nab a safety in the mid-late 1st or grab a safety in the early 2nd. If I can't trade down and an OLINE or LB is the BPA then we've turned what used to be a weakness into a major strength.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Ferguson is not an option only because that early I would prefer an OT in the mold of Pace or Ogden. Ferguson is under 300 pounds and more in the style of Hopkins.
    If we assume our bag heads days are over and we don't have another early round pick again I have no problem getting Rivers no matter what McNair does. McNair is finished as far as being an MVP QB IMO and we need to take the opportunity if it comes. Rivers might translate to a better NFL QB than Leinhert and Chow can help make the call better than anyone. If Chow likes Rivers I would seriously consider the deal.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Above all else, this team needs a playmaker on offense. Whether it be via the draft or free agency, it has to happen.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

A playmaker on O would be nice, but where?

I think our RB's are both above average. I doubt we'll draft high enough to get Bush.

A #1 WR would be nice (and how much would he be used with Chow?), but this draft looks weak for WR's. I'd also kinda like to see the young WR's for awhile to see if any have the potential to be a legit #1.

TE....can we find one that can take a screen all the way to the house? :lol:

Other than Reggie Wayne, I don't know of any big time FA's that may help us out a lot.

And since it's a copy cat league....the Pats didn't have any big time playmakers on O, but they did have a very strong D....which we are pretty far from having :-/

Hey, maybe our playmaker on O can be Pacman :brow: :lol:

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

For a second lets imagine a scenario where Chow tells Reese and Fisher that Rivers is a better QB and future prospect than Lienhert based on coaching both players in college. IMO we would be ridiculously stupid to not try and make a straight up trade with SD for our pick. Not only is Rivers better than the "best" QB coming out of this years draft he already has a couple of years at the NFL level and is more ready to contribute.

The situation with McNair is simply this IMO. The Titans need to dictate the terms of his contract and offer a take it or leave it offer. It simply is not in the best interest of the organization to have a guy with diminishing skills leaving us in suspense on his future. You hear McNair in interviews talk and it is like he is making the decision and no one else has a dog in the fight. Sorry Mac, this is Bud's football team, Fisher is the coach and Reese is the GM and you are only an employee. If McNair cannot make a commitment I say let him go and move on.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Good question. But when you have to put a defensive back on the offense to "add spark", you have issues.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The Pats also had a top QB and a solid OL and a great OC. Without time to throw the ball we really don't know if we have potential playmakers at WR or if our QB is any good. Without any room to run we really don't know if Brown and Henry are solid RBs. We have not been able to establish the run to set up the pass or establish the pass to set up the run. Those 5 yard routes on 3rd and 10 don't help either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar