GM Mike Reinfeldt: Javon Ringer needed on Special Teams.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Since I have some time, I'm going to list all the RB's starting for other teams, and beside their name will indicate with a red "R" whether IMO Ringer has a shot at starting there. Lets see.

Bills ------ Fred Jackson/C.J. Spiller
    Dolphins - Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams
    Patriots - Ben Jarvus Green-Ellis/Danny Woodhead R
    Jets ----- L.T./Shonn Greene
    Ravens -- Ray Rice/Willis McGahee
    Bengals - Cedric Benson R
    Browns -- Peyton Hillis
    Steelers - Rashard Mendenhall
    Texans -- Arian Foster/Ben Tate R
    Colts ---- Joseph Addai/ Donald Brown R
    Jaguars -- MJD
    Broncos - Knowshon Moreno/Laurence Maroney R
    Chargers - Ryan Mathews/Darren Sproles
    Chiefs --- Jamaal Charles/Thomas Jones
    Raiders -- Darren McFadden/Michael Bush
    Cowboys - Felix Jones/Tashard Choice R
    Giants --- Brandon Jacobs
    Redskins - Keiland Williams/Ryan Torain R
    Eagles --- LeSean McCoy/Jerome Harrison
    Bears ---- Matt Forte/Chester Taylor R
    Packers -- Brandon Jackson/James Starks
    Lions ----- Jahvid Best/Maurice Morris
    Vikings --- A.P./Toby Gerhart
    Falcons -- Michael Turner
    Saints ---- Pierre Thomas/Mark Ingrim
    Buccaneers - LeGarrette Blount/Cadillac Williams
    Panthers - Johnathan Stewart
    Cardinals - Beanie Wells/Tim Hightower R
    Rams ---- Steven Jackson
    49er's ---- Frank Gore
    Seahawks - Marshawn Lynch R

2. wg53

wg53 Starter

I think you could add an R next to the Cardinals as well. Wells has been a disappointment and Hightower is nothing special.

3. JCBRAVE

I'll add another "R" if you think so. I disagree personally, but you could be right.

4. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the reason Fisher and Reinfedlt gave for cutting Blount was because he didn't play special teams? So we cut a better running back because he can't play special teams but kept a lesser running back who also can't? Nice job.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. JCBRAVE

That's Fisher for you. Sign Gado to pick-up blitzes but cut him too. Real smart Jeff Fisher, you inept tard.

6. wg53

wg53 Starter

I don't understand the hate a lot of fans have for Ringer.

Blount isn't anything great and Ringer is a better all around back than him. He is better in both aspects of the passing game. Sure Blount will hurdle someone every now and then, and that is a great play to see happen, but it is all flash. He isn't the next Jim Brown like some make him out to be.

Ringer is a solid back and could be a good starter for several teams. Sure he doesn't excel in any one area, but he is very well rounded.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If the coaches had total faith in Ringer, why use a fourth on Harper? Unless they plan on having him compete against Hall at FB, it looks to me like Ringer's job is far from safe.

And Stafon Johnson may also push Ringer if he can play special teams.

8. wg53

wg53 Starter

None of us, currently, know the intentions of picking Harper. Maybe he is a FB, maybe a 3rd down back. But it looks like the days of having 2 RBs on the roster are over. Picking Harper isn't necessarily an indictment of Ringer. In today's NFL the trend is going towards having 2 or 3 guys that can effectively tote the rock and less of the "featured RBs". RBs have shorter careers than most and it is important to have someone who can do so. CJ hasn't been great in the passing game and Harper seems to excel in that area. He could be a west coast fullback or a 3rd down back. One thing is for certain, the Titans are a changing :)

I doubt S. Johnson has much of a chance honestly.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'd say it's not much different than what taking the DTs and LBs do. Players in those positions are on notice. If they were 100% happy with Ringer, they'd looked at another position with that pick.

Time will tell.

10. wg53

wg53 Starter

I don't think them being happy or unhappy with Ringer has anything to do with picking another RB. I think that is a logical fallacy.

Maybe they have a specific idea for what they want out of Harper. Maybe he could be our Kevin Faulk or perhaps a Larry Centers. That doesn't mean Ringer is or isn't on his way out.

As far as the DL picks are concerned, we definitely needed to upgrade our talent and depth. Players like Marks, Hayes, and Haye are just not cutting it. Considering we have a new coaching staff with different ideas as far as the scheme goes that necessitates a need for different styles of players. We aren't going to be running the 9 technique at DE like we have over the past 4 or 5 years and that requires a DE to be more stout against the run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar