GM Mike Reinfeldt: Rusty Smith is not starter material.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Soxcat I think we've gone about as far as we can(/should) go with this. The bottom line is neither of us were privy to the exact nature of JF and MR's relationship. I'm basing my opinion off the widely accepted belief that JF had much more power than most other head coaches. You seem to be basing your opinion off the generic version of a GM/HC relationship. So we obviously aren't going to change each other's minds.

The way JF never would give a straight answer when asked about how much power he really had leads me to believe he possessed quite a bit. And he didn't want it to be public knowledge because that makes him look doubly bad when the team doesn't do well.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

3. JCBRAVE

You're right, but you never put all your eggs in one basket.

Even before all those back loaded contracts were signed, Reese was still an idiot. I was a kid back then, and I even felt he sucked. Now as an adult, I feel I was right all along.

4. JCBRAVE

I've heard from a lot of older Oiler fans, until Bud Adams dies, we'll never win a Super Bowl. They may have been right.

5. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

I certainly did, and he was able to make one good throw in weak coverage and looked like a deer caught in headlights the rest of the way. Nothing to get excited about.

6. JCBRAVE

He isn't worth getting excited about, that's for sure. But the kid simply isn't as bad as everyone thinks. That's all I'm getting at.

7. GeronimoJackson

Since we were being selective with that one pro...somewhat, let's look at the cons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nP_cMWbF_w&feature=player_embedded#at=167

00:57 - under throws Moss which is why Moss pushed off.

2:48 - Over throws Nate by a mile.

3:44 - Terrible decision, which ended the game when it should have been an easy first. Not only was Cook wide open on a deserted island, but wide open in the MIDDLE of the field, no excuse to not have seen that. Would have been a first and in field goal range with nothing to do but run out the clock from there.

I remember one dude was on my case for not believing in Rusty, but sorry, I just don't see anything to be even remotely excited about.

8. JCBRAVE

The very first play Moss goes half speed, that incompletion isn't all on the rookie QB.
    That next play you talked about 00:57 into the video gets called a TD's 9 of 10 times.
    Then there's that big catch Nate makes for 52-yards. Nate's not throwing the ball so....
    I'll just stop there since that's as far as I care to take this. I'm with you mostly, he's bad, but those are the same mistakes all the greats made when they were taking their lumps. Give him time to grow into an NFL QB. I truly believe he can. Not this year, and most likely not the year after. But in 3-4 years, he will be something.

Nothing he's done to this point is detrimental to his career, only beneficial. Yes I said beneficial. Throwing INT's can be a positive if he knows not to pull the trigger next time.

9. GeronimoJackson

^ I didn't bring up the first incompletion because I wasn't pinning it on Rusty, that was as you pointed out, just Moss being Moss.

As for the called back TD to Moss, Moss deserves partial blame because he didn't have to be obvious with his push off ( probably due to frustration), as you said, he could have gotten away with it . But as I pointed out, it was underthrown, the corner was in great position for an INT.

I gave props to Rusty for making that 52 yard throw. But again, Nate had single coverage by a linebacker, which is why it didn't give me a hard on.

If Rusty was a first round pick, then yeah, I'd be a little more hopeful, but he is what he is, a third stringer for now. Just so there's no misunderstanding, I don't think Rusty is utterly useless. He might be decent some day, but let's just say I wouldn't shed a tear if we were to cut him.

10. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I started a thread on Rusty earlier this year. Instead of retyping everything, here it is:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar