GM Webster Ready To Get Titans Back On Top

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

http://www.foxsportstennessee.com/n...t-Titans-back-on-t?blockID=864925&feedID=4232

Here are some of the things i picked up from reading the above article....

A little more than a year ago, Ruston Webster was promoted to general manager of the Tennessee Titans.

"I have been working to do this my entire career," Webster said while preparing for the NFL combine and impending free-agency period that begins March 12. "I feel prepared for it."

"I want a mentality in the building and on the field of guys that are dedicated to winning, that are team players," he said. "And on the field, I want to be a physical football team that can run the ball and is going to play good defense. I want to play smart."

"You have to continue to bring players who can help you win this coming year and also develop young guys so you can win in years to come. That's a very tough balancing act. But that's what you have to do. It has become a year-to-year league."

In my opinion the past four years were not that good and the GM here during that time was Mike Reinfeldt who owner Bud Adams let go and for good reason because Reinfeldt was not getting the job done at all as you can clearly see from our win loss record.

Also i think a big difference will be that Webster won't be sitting around each season waiting on the dollar tree part of free agency to start.We never was able to put a winning roster together and that was because of Reinfeldt.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Well the part about Reinfeldt not putting a winning roster together is not true, but he certainly wasn't building a consistent team.

He had a great start with the team, but he didn't do enough, and he sucked at drafting.

3. Joseph Wright

Joseph Wright Camp Fodder

So far, I think Webster has done a whale of a job. But this should be considered more of a rebuilding job than most people realize. Number 1 thing in my mind is Locker is not Webster's pick. Secondly, this draft is stocked with talent in rounds 2 and 3. That is where I would focus my attention. If I had my druthers I would trade down, trade down to pick up additional picks in rounds 2 and 3. I would trade down and pick up Olgletree in the first. He is a surefire pick. Try to add two additional picks in the second, where you can add a G (Warford), DE (Okafor) and a CB. With the two picks in the third, target Robert Woods and maybe Barrett Jones.

Now you have decent talent and depth on the roster so if Locker is not the man, you are set to trade up (if need be) to get Bridgewater. Maybe this is just my pipe dream, but it certainly would be my blueprint.

4. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Didn't Reinfeldt get promoted to a position higher than GM after he did poorly? Why reward him?

5. amy

amy Starter

Aw, Bud probably likes him, and so he was put some place where he couldn't do anymore damage.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Happens in the corporate world too. I have seen it. They promote a guy to a position where he does not do much to get him out of the way and make room for his underling who is better.

7. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I really like Webster. I actually believe that he is willing to do whatever it takes to make this a winning team again, and so far he has been doing an excellent job. I really think we would be further along if not for the PM sweepstakes last year as it looked like Webster was going after so good FAs in areas of need.

If the Titans have a bad year and they clean house, I really hope Webster stays. It takes more than a year or two to overhaul a team

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I really wonder what last offseason would have been like if Bud didn't have a hardon for Manning.

Regardless, I hope this new influx of talent equals wins. We made a splash in free agency. So did the Eagles last season, and there are more examples like theirs than I care to count. It's nice to have a little more hope this time of year, but I don't anticipate a team that dominates right out the gate. I like what I see, but with so many new starters, it will probably take some time for this team to gel.

9. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

Locker and Munch are our weakest links.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I know, and it is so hard to say. But in the end I cannot fault Bud. Because who knows what this past season would have been like with Manning. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar