Golf has stupid rules

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Gunny, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

This answer is simple. Every example you give is a team sport. You can rely on someone else while you "cool off". Even if you lose and blow it, you have the "it's a team sport, we lost as a team excuse."

In golf, it's all you. You have to recover by yourself. And one HORRIBLE shot in golf has potential to put you out of contention in a tournament.

One miss jumpshot, int, drop pass, they are recoverable unless its the end of the game.

I mean, if you seriously think that if you practiced and played daily you could be a professional, you should seriously go for it. The pay and lifestyle seems good to me.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Another prime example of Gloat's "I think I can do everything better than most people, but I just choose not to do anything."

The more you talk about it, the more clear it is that you don't know enough about it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I don't say I could be professional. I just could be as good as the average golfer... I think those were my words.

Alex- True, but in a team sport you have the team on your shoulders. Much more pressure than you just screwing up and YOU being the only person that cares. You can look at yourself and say 'ah well, just one of those bad days' in golf... on a team sport no one else is that understanding as to why you're sucking it up.

Golf is like bowling to me. It's not hard to be good at it. I was good at it when I was 15. Not great, but if you golf more than once a month and can't break par or under on the same course regularly, you just suck at life.

4. Alex1939

^

That is very dependent on the golf course. I played about 3 times a month while I lived at Auburn (2 years) and can count on one hand how many times I broke 80!

But it's a long and challenging course, they have some SEC tournys there.

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.aspx?course=1669556

It's a very challenging course imo. Especially if you were to have the same problem as me, inconsistent drives. I'm best with long irons, and I can do well with short game chips and putts.

I've never been very good or consistent off the tee.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

that's what she said :duckrun:

6. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Wow golf is NO WHERE NEAR the same as bowling. You can use your nonsensical logic for bowling yes, ie nothing changes, its quiet etc. Golf, every course is different, and every time you play the same course it's still different. Hole locations on the green and tee locations vary and DO make a difference.

Go play the same course for a week Deuce and let me know if you shoot the same score, matter of fact if you get +-5 we'll all shut up. As for parring, LOL I"m sure you're gonna shoot a 72 when you don't play routinely..:rolleyes:

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Alex1939

^

My guess is Deuce has only played an easy public course on a regular basis giving him the opinion he has.

One time I shanked and it went in the wrong hole. ;)

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I've only played 3 courses.

One, I played on all summer when I was 16. Burned me out on golf... It was a smaller course. The other was some state park (Joe Wheeler) in Alabama. Killed a lot of old men while goofing off the entire time. I didn't take it serious and was better than most them that golf that course every week.

But if you're even half-coordinated and/or athletic, you should be able to hang with anyone in your neighborhood.

I'd suck right now, because I haven't played for about 8 years (I had better, more exciting things to do... like watch grass grow). But if I practiced for more than a week, I'd be upset if I couldn't run with most people on the course.

But I'm good at actual sports though- and golf is like the layup of sports. It's what you do if you suck at all the others.
    And aside from weather, yes- It's a lot like bowing. Or darts. Or anything else that you never really have to adjust much to in order to do well.

Its muscle memory more than anything. But without the need of... muscles! haha

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I hadn't played golf in year and then about a month ago I went to the driving range and I was hitting them like Tiger (the balls not the chicks).
    Usually when I hit I have a massive fade but this day it was straight down the middle. I was amazed at myself.

10. Alex1939

If you really want to see if you have serious skill or not, I recommend trying the Legends in Nashville a few times. Hermitage is a test as well.

http://www.legendsclub.com/fw/main/Home-1.html

http://www.hermitagegolf.com/

I don't see how baseball is much more of a sport, it's certainly much less entertaining to me.

Golf is on the level of tennis, or many of the Olympic "sports" out there.

I tend to find that after a long layoff I end up actually playing a very good round when I first start back. I think it's getting all the negativity and bad advice out of the head and just relaxing and playing loose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar