Goodell considering expanding playoffs to 14 or 16 teams

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

How about this...

- Division winners and all teams with a 9-7 record get in to the POs

- All division winners get a 1st rd bye

- all non-division winners are thrown into a pool independent of conference and ranked from 1st to last based on current record and tie-breaker rules. They then play each other in the wildcard round.

- The division winners get to pick who they want to play against in the 2nd round (any team from the wc pool). So the 1st place team gets 1st pick, the last place division winner gets the last pick. They can do this 'draft' style and put it on ESPN for even more ratings.

This would ensure that all good teams get into the playoffs. I also think it would make a lot of teams play harder at the end of the season trying to get to 9-7.

The down side is that there wouldn't be the same number of teams in the POs every year.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Of course he is. Geedy bugger. Probably pissed because the players would not go for expanding the season. And had to love that he wanted to expand the season while at the same time preeching about player health.

3. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Shut up Goodell and do your job. And by do your job, I mean nothing.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. ProfessorD

ProfessorD Starter

If two teams were added, I'm assuming one afc and one nfc, what divisions would they go in. The numbers don't add up you would have to go to 3 six team division or three 4 team and two 3.... you get the point it would take some rearranging to add two teams. But I would like more teams and then more teams in the playoffs. No out of country teams though. Germany? London? That would make it the WFL or GFL.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I can't stand Roger Goodell, but this is just his way of generating more money, because in his eyes; money is the only way to measure success.

He knows he's killing football, but if the dollars are rolling in some people will say he's doing a good job.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

an official one you mean - lol

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

half of NFL teams make the playoffs??? No thanks. As good as it would be for the Titans, it would make SO many more teams rest their starters and make the regular season even less interesting and meaningful.

People should have to earn their way in. no 7-9, 8-8 garbage every year.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

adding 1 more WC would make winning the conference, which the Titans have done twice, more meaningful as only that team earns a bye week in the POs. I agree the bye week sucks.

I would be in favor of this PO expansion and I want too do away with 2 preseason games. Expand the gameday rosters for the first 2 weeks of the season and make those games count in the standings.

As an aside I would like the preseason record too be the first tiebreaker in any PO scenario. I loath the exhibition games and would like them too mean something, anything.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

One of the reasons the NFL is so popular is because the regular season matters. Expanding the playoffs turns the NFL regular season into the NBA or NCAA BB. I love the NFL because it feels exclusive. You actually have to be good to go to the playoffs.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

1st round byes are not a positive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar