Goodell is as much to blame for the bounty scandal as anyone

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by World Peace, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

You have NFL players who have been taught to play a certain way their entire lives and as soon as Goodell becomes commissioner, he goes and waters down the sport and starts telling defenses how and where they can hit players. A guy who has never played one down in the NFL football in his life is telling professional athletes how they are allowed to collide with each other. Goodell won't even entertain the idea of having current and former players on a panel to help with this decisions when they are the ones who would know much more about this than him. How much sense does this make?

I'm 1000000% confident that the bounty program didn't go on when Gregg was in Tennessee because Goodell wasn't the commissioner because you could hit guys without worrying about losing a paycheck. Now that people are losing game checks for hits that were legal several years ago... How do you keep these guys motivated? Perhaps you reimburse them for the hits under the table. That's all this "Bounty program" was...

Football is a game of inches and one missed tackle could cost you a game, a season or even your job. Once you lose an NFL job... How do you know if another team will sign you? How many of these guys want to go from making millions in the NFL to making 40-50k a year as a football coach for some high school team or an assistant on a college staff?

I'm not defending the bounty program. These players and coaches shouldn't be doing this. All I'm saying is that this could be blowback from Roger Goodell's policy of "Defending the players." The Saints weren't paying players for these hits because they are sinister b@st@rds. They did this to keep their guys hungry and focused. There's got to be a better way to do this... But if Roger Goodell doesn't man up and take some fault for this, he is absolutely delusional and this bound to happen again in some way shape or form.

Sean Payton is one of the best head coaches in the NFL. Scandal or no scandal, he's a winner and a genius and I personally think no less of him. This won't tarnish his reputation in my eyes. In fact, it's just a reaffirmation that Goodell is taking this league in the wrong direction. Everyone is looking for that edge... and the coaches aren't dumb. They know that if a player hits his head on the ground hard enough, he's being carted off and he's out of the game and being examined for concussions... Whether or not he is legitimately injured or not. You don't think D-Coordinators don't realize this and see this as an advantage? You can hit a guy within the rules of the NFL and still have them carted off. It happens all the time. Why do you think you are seeing so many 2 TE sets in the NFL? To protect the QB and allowing to get mismatched on smaller defenders as soon as they move out of the block. O-Coordinators realize this and they are exploiting this. That's why Graham and Gronkowski have literally come out of no where to dominate the NFL.

This is all Goodell's fault. When you are paid millions of dollars to play a dangerous sport, they know the dangers before they step on the field and they have accepted that it could happen. It's like Nascar, those guys could die in any race... and you have guys who intentionally wreck other guys and their cars are set on fire and tumble 4-5 times going at over 150Mph... Should those guys get banned from the sport indefinitely? It almost seems like Nascar cheers them on. If this weren't the case.. Why is Carl Edwards still in Nascar?

Roger Goodell means well, but the sport was better without him and dirty stuff like this will continue unless he reverts the league back to the good ole days. If people don't want to get hurt, they shouldn't take the risk of stepping on the field and let someone else earn that million dollar salary. It's really that simple.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

tl/dr fake fan

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

lol
    I don't know what he said but i doubt it added anything of value to the convo

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I didn't take the time to read your entire OP but I hit you with an it sucks based on the title alone.

5. madeupdreams

madeupdreams Starter

The new safety regulations are being put in place to cover the league's butt. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they also have concern for the players' well-being, but the NFL's bottom line is the main issue here. They are already being sued by dozens, if not hundreds of former players for concussion related issues.

I don't place the blame all on Goodell, this was going to happen no matter who was chosen as commissioner. League executives are pushing increased safety to save money in the long run. The game has changed in the physicality department, and that sucks. But I don't see it ever going back to the way it was.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Makes sense, honestly.

Players are scared they're going to be fined for hitting hard- so counter that with a payment so they can play true to the sport.

7. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Goodell doesn't make the rules, the owners do. Blame them.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

You cannot justify action based off another person taking over.

Indirectly? maybe, but I would not go so far as to blame this on Goodell. He has no responsibility for the actions of others outside of his control.

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Here's a TL;DR:

That's all you need to read.

10. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

This is a good post TE.

I do disagree with it partly because of a simple fact...... you can still knock the hell out of someone LEGALLY in the NFL.

The helmet to helmet and leading with the helmet needed to stop. However it went down a slippery slope and leaving it up to a "judgment call" is not going to work.

Take a look at locker getting laid out by the Saints... hard hit, and legal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar