Goodell neutered?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8349422/nfl-players-win-gut-punch-roger-goodell

About effin time! Goodell and the league have been getting away unfair/illegal labor practices for years. I hope this serves to wake them up and realize NO power is above constitutionally insured due process.

Goodell is no hero- make no mistake. Many will argue that he was "doing what was necessary" to curb player conduct, fan conduct, and "labor relations". That is total :bsflag: . "Protecting the Shield" is a bunch of :bsflag: rhetoric as well. It is all about Protecting the Profit- plain and simple. This "check-down" has been long overdue.

Way to go players who challenged him and the league! :clap:

2. TackHammer56

TackHammer56 Starter

I dont really agree with this.
    The NFL is a business and can be run however the NFL chooses to a certain extent.
    It's a ...If you dont like the rules go work somewhere else kind of thing.
    And I dont see where making bounties against the rules in anyway protects the NFL other then from lawsuits that players would file(guaranteed) if they were to be hurt because the league did nothing to stop it.
    So are we to assume bounty programs are now acceptable in the NFL? Sure sounds like it.
    They just set precedent......so how do you enforce it from here on out?
    Unions are detrimental to football and all free markets and should be held in check.
    I'm not saying they should be abolished. There just needs to be some limits to their power.

Unions are directly responsible for the price we now pay for tickets. It wont be long before only the wealthy can afford to go to a football game. And that just flat out sucks!

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I have mixed feelings on this. Players must be held responsible for their misconduct as we all are. But I do agree that one man should not be judge, jury and executioner.

In this bounty issue, no evidence was presented. Maybe that is because it would have shed light on the NFL's own neglect of the issue or, they felt dragging this out would only keep it in the headlines.

I personally think it is because everyone involved knew it's a non-issue and the entire goal in penalties was to "cover their arse" from future neglect lawsuits. I would not be surprised if the plan all along was for these players to find legal means to be reinstated since the NFL doing it would indicate they were not serious about the issue.

Maybe the NFL should add some kind of neutral conduct panel for such things.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. TackHammer56

TackHammer56 Starter

From what I understand there was plenty of evidence. The players are employees of the NFL. If they dont follow he rules they should expect to be punished.
    I'm not sure how you can let this pass and still uphold the integrity of the game.

5. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

I agree about one man being j,j, and e, but I also think the Saints coaches and players were clearly wrong and were doing a disgusting thing. I don't know. After hearing Greg Williams talk about taking out players ACL's and hitting guys who are just coming back from a concussion in the head on purpose, I just find it REAL hard to believe the players weren't trying to injure players intentionally. That quote from Williams was nothing new, and you could tell. However, I do understand the need for absolute proof in cases like this. Bottom line, the Saints were doing something that there is absolutely no place in the game of football for imo. Hope everyone involved has learned a lesson.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There may have been but I never read of Goodell presenting that evidence to Vilma or anyone else. Isn't that the issue?

7. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

I don't understand how the NFL came to the conclusion that different players deserved different suspensions if there was no evidence of player involvement. I mean, I refuse to believe the NFL just decided to suspend Vilma for an entire season for no reason. That doesn't make any sense at all.

8. TackHammer56

TackHammer56 Starter

I really couldnt say. Not really sure if we know all the facts as to the dealings in the situation,but I wouldnt imagine the general public is going to be privy to that info anyway. I'm sure it's a closed door kinda thing.
    You gotta think that if there was no evidence this would have gone away on it's own and or the Saints would have been squealing way louder then they did.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

10. TackHammer56

TackHammer56 Starter

I agree. Something went down. But I dont believe the general public will ever really know the details.
    The NFL and the Saints want to keep this low key as possible in order to protect both of them from further embarrassment.

As far as the severity of the punishment goes....I would think they would base it on who had the most evidence against them. And who was in a position of power to stop it. In this case Payton and he did nothing to end it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar