Goodell's Arbitrary Policy

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

You dont even know the details of the policy. How can you say something is bad when you dont even know the details of it? HIs public statement so the press would have something to put in the paper is not the policy.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I have no problem agreeing to disagree. Im sure you are a nice guy and we just got off on the wrong foot. But I do have to say this, in that the players union had a role in this so it is unfair to put this solely on the commishs shoulders.

3. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

So if we're not going back 3 or 4 years, Pacman didn't do a whole lot. How far we going back then? 2 years?

Probation for drunk in public, who cares?
    Spitting girl was found out to be false, and she tried to scam $50,000 from him.
    Las Vegas incident

Finally the two cases in GA mysteriously appeared right in the middle of the LV incident, which I agree if he never reported give him an appropriate punishment one season is nuts.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I dont make the policy, I dont know how far they are going back. But Chris Mortenson says there are up to 5 more incidents that the public isnt even aware of. I have no idea the truth to that, and I have no idea what kind of incidents. But like I said, we dont have all the details of this, which is why it is hard for me to ridicule the punishment until something comes out that needs to be ridiculed. If Pac thinks it is unfair he will appeal Im sure, and then we will probably find out more details and reasoning behind the suspension. If he doesnt appeal, then I at least have to think that he and his lawyers decided it was a reasonable punishment.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Porter is featured in the NFL equipment clothing ads. Poster boys don't get punished.:irked:

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

If you will digest my posts, you will see that there are few tenets in the policy that are different:

1. The policy uses the court of public opinion rather than a court of law.
    2. The commisioner IS the one who decides who, what and how much. (The NFLPA does not have anything to do with NFL policy administration. They only challenge or appeal the league's rulings on a players behalf. They still haven't said one way or another if they will appeal Pac's ruling. The NFLPA is to serve the player's not the league or the commissioner.)

These make it a dangerous policy because it subject to public opinion and arbitrary interpretations by the public and league officials. It all OK when somebody you don't like gets unfair treatment, but if is a different story if it is you or somebody you like.

We'll see more examples of how bad this policy is as more "well-like" big market players have transgresssions.

7. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

I think that appealing will be a waste of time, since he has to go in front of the commish to have his ruling reversed. I don't see Goodell, no matter what comes up, deciding his own punishment he, himself, came up with is too tough and reduce it. He'd be undermining himself, then what message would that sent around the league?

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

From all accounts the NFLPA supported strong punishments for both Pac and Henry, with some player reps even wanting them kicked out for good. The commissioner used these recommendations to determine how severe these punishments were. Everything I have read indicates that the commissioner was emboldened by the union to make these punishments harsh. And the union said they will back both players if they appeal. But that was to be expected.

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Well I dont know how the appeals process works, but surely there would be more people than just Goodell determing if the punishment was deserved. An arbitrator perhaps?

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

What accounts are you referencing? I understood they supported a more harsh conduct policy reform. I haven't read or heard they supported one that which used public opinion as the major facet of who gets punished and how they get punished.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar