Grade the Titans 2015 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, May 2, 2015.

?

Grade the Titans 2015 NFL Draft

Poll closed May 16, 2015.
  1. A+

6.3%
  2. A

9.4%
  3. A-

19.5%
  4. B+

30.5%
  5. B

15.6%
  6. B-

4.7%
  7. C+

4.7%
  8. C

3.1%
  9. C-

1.6%
  10. D+

0.8%
  11. D

0.8%
  12. D-

0.8%
  13. F

2.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

signed that Buffalo scrub prior to draft

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

This is from Walter Football

NFL Draft Team Grade: A- Grade

Goals Entering the 2015 NFL Draft: The Titans need to come out of this draft with an upgrade at quarterback, whether that's selecting Marcus Mariota with the second-overall pick or trading for someone like Philip Rivers or Sam Bradford. This team simply cannot go into the 2015 season with Zach Mettenberger as its starting quarterback. Tennessee also needs to bolster the offensive line and secondary.

2015 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Drafting Mariota or trading for Rivers were the primary goals, and once the latter was unavailable, Tennessee's objective was clear; it had to select Mariota, barring a Herschel Walker-type trade offer. There are some who criticized the Titans for drafting Mariota solely because the owner wanted him, but that's far from the truth. Mariota was Tennessee's guy all along; in fact, the front office would've selected him over Jameis Winston.

The Titans did a good job of adding talent around Mariota on Days 2 and 3. Dorial Green-Beckham was a strong acquisition in the second round; if it wasn't for his character concerns, he would've been a top-10 pick. Jeremiah Poutasi, meanwhile, should offer an upgrade at either guard or right tackle, both of which were problem areas. Later on, David Cobb was a nice value pick, as he'll challenge Bishop Sankey for the starting running back job.

Tennessee had plenty of holes, so it was difficult to address them all. The secondary was completely neglected, and I felt like the fourth-rounder used on a fullback should've been spent on either a corner or a safety. But having said that, the Titans had an outstanding draft overall, and the fans should be excited about the team's future for the first time in a long while.

The draft we should be grading is the 2013 draft....it is pointless to throw out these random grades at this point...2013 had Warmack, Hunter, BWW, Schwenke, Lavar Edwards, Khalid Wooten, Damian Stafford, and Gooden...I'd give that draft a B- so far.

3. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

I suspect the draft was tilted toward the offense for good reason. The year before, this defense was ranked in the middle of the league, with Gray as the DC and Williams only an overseer. So, there is more talent there than most people think.

It only needed a few additions to be solid. CB and OLB mainly. The offensive talent available in FA was tepid, but much better for defense. The addition of Orakpo was big, and LeBeau will probably elevate the play of everyone. DaQuan Jones was 1st team All-Big10, and reminds me of Casey...who didn't make much of a splash until his 3rd season.

I also think Whisenhunt knows that the biggest reason the defense did so poorly last year was that the offense routinely laid an egg for the entire first half, in almost every game. The defense was worn down by the second half and we were in a big hole. An explosive, efficient offense will dramatically reduce the burden on the defense and consequently dramatically improve the defense's production.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

5. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

[​IMG]

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  6. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

[​IMG]

Don't waste your time, bro. Ain't no one here trying to hear that noise.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  7. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

That was a head-scratcher for me, too...but I can see the reasoning behind it. More effective hammer in the run game, and a short yardage big back. Must have thought Battle wasn't getting it. Probably why Klug was called on a few times last year.

He's also a good pass-catcher out of the backfield, and a better runner in open space. The RB coach reportedly went to bat for him...for whatever reason. Still should have gone no earlier than the 6th Rd. I guess he was the only FB they liked and figured some team would snag him a little early.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  8. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

Bill Polian really liked the Mariota pick, but what does he know, right? I mean he only had to face the dilemma of choosing between Ryan Leaf, who many were praising as having the bigger arm, and Peyton Manning.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

B- for that draft? Really?

That draft gets a D grade at best. Warmack is basically the only decent starter, and even so that will always be a bad pick in my eyes.

2012 sucked bad too.

On paper, 2014 and 2015 both seem like potentially our best drafts in a long time, but we'll have to revisit later. I feel like we got 2-3 starters from 2014. And I feel like we may have found 3-4 starters from this draft.

Usually we find maybe one decent starter per draft. Sad but true.

Making progress maybe?

10. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

Still feeling butthurt, bro? Let's see if we can't help you with that.

[​IMG]

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar