Grades/First Impressions

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Childress79, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. costarica2

costarica2 Banned forever

I know no is talking or cares about this but Casey is 10x better then Shaun Smith even Klug out play him.Also Jason at DE in running set's is AWESOME.

Our Nickle looks awesome too with Finny in the slot and verner at the corner.

I still want to see more blitzes but I bet we will see some later on in the preseason.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree SS is still a concern of mine but since when is sub 4.4 speed only average? McCourty ran a 4.32 and Finny runs about as fast as McCourty.

I also like the idea of Finny playing NB. It really helps the middle of the field and staying tight on slot WRs.

People will like Ruud's ability to get back in coverage but might not like his ability to stuff the run but still, an improvement in pass defense and what we needed.

Contrary to what some thought I think the pass rush was pretty good. Any QB who drops and fires quickly isn't going to get sacked but the pass rush was close all game and the team had 4 sacks. I also liked the fact we now are tighter in the middle which means tighter passing lanes for the QB as opposed to the huge gap we allowed before with the DEs so far outside. Ayers looked like a real man out there and I think when Morgan is full speed, JJ gets more acclimated at DE and the blitz packages get more into play we will be laying welts on some QBs heads.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Oh wow, did not know McCourty ran a 4.3. Finny is just average speed, and so is Verner (at best). None of them are "lock-down" corners. Gray will be doing alot of overload blitzes, which means alot of 1v1s, which scares me. Especially when there ONLY backup will be Hope, since Griff will normally be lined up with a RB/WR. Ruud is an instant upgrade over Tulloch (as far as coverage goes). Just am worried by how much of a liability Hope is with coverage.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Cortland runs a 4.36, Verner runs a 4.52, and McCourty runs a 4.32

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I hate 40 times. I wish in the combine they would do a 40, in there under armor, with track spikes, on a track like they normally do... Then do another with full pads on a football field.

6. JCBRAVE

Yea timing guys on a track in T-shirts is kind of silly, but that's how it goes..

7. costarica2

costarica2 Banned forever

I'm pretty sure Verner and McCourty will be better this year just because they have more experience but they both have a long way to go.

Also this year we are much bigger inside so I think Ruud fits.

8. JCBRAVE

Ruud being behind two bigger guys than what we've had will work out. Not that worried about him stopping the run.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I don't know why people are putting that on Ringer (if this is implied in the post)....Hasselback hit Hall with the ball on the turn back so Ringer had no chance at that ball.

And remember Ringer had a really nice run that was called back on Jumpin Jake Scott on a false start.

I thought Ringer looked good...given it was a preseason game, I was glad to see him run hard and have a little success.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

- Really liked how in-sync the offense was. Except for the botched handoff, we would have scored on Hasselbeck’s only possession of the game.

- Locker showed me much more than I was expecting. I was never worried about the “inaccuracy” knock against him and he completed 70% of his passes. Hopefully he’ll continue from the good start he had.

- The most impressive rookie to me was Carl Klug. I wondered why he was out there with the starting team but he soon showed why. He put a hurtin’ on McNabb on one play. On another play, he was being double teamed and was still getting through the line and getting pressure on the QB. He might turn out to be a late round gem. All of the comparisons to Van Den Bosch’s motor look completely legit.

- I really like our young receivers. Especially Hawkins, Kirkendoll and Figures. I am hoping we cut Gage to make room for one of those guys.

- I really dislike the new kickoff rule. It is greatly going to impact one of the most exciting plays in the game. And for Titans fans it will greatly impact one of our weapons in Mariani.

- I am still a little bit nervous about our ability to cover opposing TE’s. If you go back and watch the game, the TE’s were open a lot of the time and the QB’s either didn’t see it or they didn’t make the throw. The Mannings and Roethlisberger’s of the NFL world will pick that apart.

- This years rookie class could turn out to be one of the great drafts in history. Granted we’re one game in but every rookie we drafted contributed in some way.

- I rewatched the game on NFL Network and it did nothing but make me angry. They replayed the Vikings broadcast and every time Jake threw an incompletion (granted there were only 3) they KEPT harping on the fact that he supposedly has accuracy issues. “If there’s one problem with Locker, you just saw it right there, he’s got big problems with accuracy.” I just wanted to scream “44 and 66” at them (44 passes dropped, 66 thrown away).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar