Grades/First Impressions

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Childress79, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gran54

gran54 Starter

I didn't actually get to see the game, but I saw quite a few highlights and all of Locker's completions on YouTube.

My Thoughts:

Locker looked very impressive and comfortable for his first game out. He actually had time which our offensive line gives, but he did not look rushed to make decisions as he did at Washington and he looked very good outside of the pocket as well. That was one of his big problems in college, he didn't have the o line capable of protecting him while he was in the pocket. Not saying all problems are solved, but he looked like the best QB of all the rookies to me this week.

Klug was very impressive and got after it big time. A lot of people didn't know where he would fit due to his size, but he looked like he fit in pretty well with our scheme. He has a tough motor and like someone else said in this thread, he reminds me of a Vanden Bosch get after the QB mentality.

Harper looked to be running more side to side instead of up the field and that really surprised me. With his size he seemed to be a North/South type of runner, but that didn't really show. Hopefully he pushes past that.

Gage imo is okay to be kept on the team, but I believe some of our younger guys are starting to pass him (Williams/Hawkins.) Hopefully they can go out and continuously improve and show they deserve it.

Cook is coming on strong and making more plays with a consistency. Not seeing many balls being dropped by our TE's or WR's for that matter. This guy is coming in to his own and going to be a playmaker for us this year down the stretch. Gonna create mismatches and score TD's because of it.

We had few penalties if any from what I've heard, but with Munch making guys do up/downs it makes sense that we are more focused and polished. I doubt he just makes the "losers" of the competition during practice do up/downs. That's really a tip of the hat to the coaches.

Babineaux had a nice interception and so far looks to be an upgrade over Hope. Few reasons being: he's quicker, younger than Hope, but still old enough to be a teacher to the younger players, a lot cheaper, and knows where the ball is.

McGrath didn't look very good at all and is being passed by Akeem Ayers just like I predicted early in training camp. Ayers is the playmaker McGrath has the size/ability to be, but it just isn't there.

Ayers is a football player, plain and simple. He does anything that is asked of him (pass rush, stop the run, and cover.) That's all you can ask a guy to do and he has impressed early and is going to develop as a leader for this team. He's all over the field and is going to make a push for DROY. Not just because Verner said it, but because I believe he will and he is in a system that will allow him to shine.

Casey: I really didn't know much about this guy coming out of USC, but he is a big dude. Gets penetration and does not get pushed around easily.

You can say the same for Shaun Smith, but even more so. This guy is going to be a leader and if our offensive line can't push him around ...... I don't know many that can.

So glad to have Derrick Morgan back and I'm glad he is being worked in slowly. Munch is very easy with his injured players/players coming off of injuries which is definitely a good thing. Hopefully he can build off of how he performed on Saturday.

As I said I didn't see the game and I was wondering if JJ played?

Overall, I'm just very happy to have football back. I love the energy that this team and coaching staff brings. We have needed some young blood and new players brought in which this organization has done and the players that they drafted and have brought in have impressed me so far. It is a long season and not every player is going to perform as they did tonight, but I'm loving the new energy and get after it mentality. Gosh football is back and so are the Titans!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar