Grandma needs a laptop

Discussion in 'Gear' started by TitanJeff, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm looking to get my 75-year old mother a laptop. She's not doing much but surfing around, doing facebook and looking at photos. Probably at 15" monitor will do.

I love momma but I need to set this thing up in such as way she's not calling me five times a day. As a mac guy, I didn't know if I should go used or new and where I might find a pc for a reasonable price.

I'm guessing the budget is $200-250, if possible.
  2. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan Pro Bowler

Yeah, you're probably gonna have to go refurb for that price range. Or be willing to fight some old ladies on Black Friday. :wink2:
  4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor Tip Jar Donor

I spent $400 for a pretty good 15 inch laptop with w7 media center.

What about one of those apple pad thingys? That is what they are for right? Well that and bludgeoning barbarians and such.
  5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan Pro Bowler

Those things are like $500.
  6. TitanJeff

I think I could go with something a couple of years old here. You should see what she has now. It's some kind of desktop Dell from the '90s. I turn it on and go make a sandwich and eat it before it's ready.
  7. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

Other than searching eBay for something used you've got me stumped.

Maybe you could use the Geek Signal to summon Starkiller(meant with the utmost affection)
  8. avvie

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole Tip Jar Donor

Get an older used laptop and load Ubuntu onto it. It comes with Chrome and Firefox and doesn't need much power to run it. As long as she's not trying to watch TV on it, she should be okay.

Puppy Linux will run that thing all zoomie-like. You should take it and try it.
  9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

there's an Android tablet floating around Kmart and Walmart (iirc) for like $175
  10. TitanJeff

I didn't even know that was out. That could be the answer. Good suggestions. Not being a pc person, I really don't know the difference between Gateway, Dell, HP, etc. Any suggestions there?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.