Gray desperate for Titans to create turnovers

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray didn’t hesitate when asked what might be the single biggest key for his unit when facing the Patriots on Sunday.

[​IMG]Jerry Gray

“Turnovers,” Gray said. “You’ve got to get turnovers. If you get turnovers and make it a short field, you’ve got a chance to win a lot of football games. That’s one thing is that they don’t give a lot of them away, so when you get one, it’s got to be special. You’ve got to score with it.”

Defensive turnovers were an issue for the Titans last season, as they finished plus-one in that category after mustering only 11 interceptions.

The Titans excelled on the turnover front this preseason, however, intercepting eight passes and forcing eight fumbles in four games. But Gray knows that probably doesn’t count for much when gearing up to play Tom Brady, who threw only 12 interceptions in 611 pass attempts last season.

“This is a different type of guy you’re playing against, trust me,” Gray said. “We haven’t played against Tom Brady. Tom Brady is a Hall of Fame quarterback. If you can play up to the standards of him and you get a chance to beat him, you beat a good player.”

Tipped balls or loose balls on the ground this week will have even more significance, Gray said.

“If we get a chance to get our hands on the ball and the ball’s on the ground, you’ve got to get that ball,” he said. “You can’t let it there and give them another chance to get at you. Because again, when you score 400 or 500 points every year (like the Patriots), that’s a lot of points. So you have to be able to take some away if you get a chance.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. titansfan89

titansfan89 Starter

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Gray works the defense this season. I like the guy, and think that he will put together an effective game-plan for Sunday.

Hopefully Brown gets some chances to play, he'd be a great guy to have on the field on 3rd down to run with Gronk and/or Hernandez just with his speed and athleticism.

3. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I'm interested to see what Gray pulls out as well. I'm sure we'll see much more of his influence this season and we've got a lot of pieces we can play with. It'll be interesting to see if we run some 3 safety sets or insert Brown to cover Hernandez or Gronk. I already know he's gonna put some pressure on Brady whether its through stunts or blitzing, so I do think we'll have some opportunities for turnovers. I think we're solid talent wise on all levels so it'll be interesting to see if our defense has finally "put it all together." If we play like we did in pre-season then it could be a tough day for Brady and the Pats. I don't care who you are, if your getting hit and pressured every play its gonna wear on you. The times we beat Manning we usually had some sacks and a couple of picks.

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I worry about Tommie Cambell and RoJo biting on the pump fakes and getting beat by Lloyd deep.

I am pumped for the game. Should be a perfect day for some football. I'm ready to start tailgating right now!!!

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. amy

amy Starter

I think the word 'desperate' is a bit dramatic.

6. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

I was thinking the same thing. Current record = 0-0 Not exactly time to get desperate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar