Great Expectations? Who The Heck Are We?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by oilerstruck, Aug 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

Ok, I know it's just preseason but you've got to be concerned. We have been labeled that next great team. So much hype and expectation has been surrounding this team. BUT, preseason game one, our first team got manhandled by the worst team in the NFL. The Jets? Are you kidding me?

Game two we didn't do much better! The defnse bails us out and game us the ball in good position to dominate but we didn't do much.

Today? Da Bears? Not much better than the Jets. We got manhandled again. Why? We're supposed to be playoff bound? Are you kidding me? I don't see it! The product I see right now screams, "Oh no, we suck again!"

We have better find it fast!

2. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Maybe we are just going to be a 4th quarter team.

You know, like the Jeff Fisher days.

3. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Today totally sucked, but this rant is a bit extreme.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

It's practice man... we're talking about practice here...practice!

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

:hang:

• LOL LOL x 1
  6. Zack3000

Zack3000 Special Teams Standout

These threads wasn't made in our starters drove the Panthers last week

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Not taking the preseason into account, we could just as easily turn into a sub-500 team as a playoff one. A few things that are worrisome:

-We have Mike Mularkey as a HC

-Despite having a horrific secondary, the points allowed per game were middle of the pack. It easily could have been worse and our current secondary isn't guaranteed to be better

-Minimal injuries last year. Orakpo and Morgan made it through most of the season, despite having a history of injuries. If either lives up to their reputation of becoming injured, the defense suffers.

-Mariota produced at a rate in the redzone which will be hard to sustain.

-Performance of the O line could be just as difficult to sustain. We don't know if Conklin just had a good year or can be expected to consistently play at that level , Lewan became a franchise LT overnight, Ben Jones suddenly becomes a very good C, and a couple of nobodies perform at high levels at the G positions.

-We were lucky with the timing of some of the matchups. GB, Detroit, and Miami had yet to find their rhythm, Denver was struggling and looked like a shell of what they had been earlier in the season, and the last Texans game really didn't matter.

The pieces to be a playoff team are there. But the offense always comes out sputtering, and the weaknesses on defense could potentially put us in a lot of holes if the offense doesn't play like a top 5 unit, as they should.

• Boring Boring x 1
  8. Adrenalize74

Adrenalize74 Starter

I am resolved to believe todays game was a test project.

We did not run our normal offense. We played a very vanilla scheme with a bunch of gimmick/trial plays. Of course Mariota played poorly either way you look at it, but I am gonna put on my rose colored glasses and believe that the coaching staff was really not putting our best effort out there, instead they used it as a test session.....which failed miserable.

How else do you explain the 3 Taylor runs? The blown double handoff play? The multiple throw aways?

In other words, nothing to see here, please move along.

Week 1 we will have Davis and Decker back and a REAL offensive gameplan.....yeah, that's whats up.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  9. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Why does this offense always start slow? We had the same issue last year. Not panicking but this is a worrisime, if we end up sucking this year Mularkey has got to go.

10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

All last year it seemed like many were on the bash Mariota for his "turnover problem". Today, how any did he have?
    I point this out only because it seems like a few jump to the deep end whenever the Titans aren't shutting out opponents and scoring 40 points.
    The defense is still my big concern. We saw what THIS offense was capable of last year and with only additions of WR, I have zero reason to expect less.
    The defense was a mess last year. JRob added pieces. They still have to prove they are the right pieces to make this defense dominant. I'd like to see progress, but until they are losing meaningful games, I'll hold my gripes.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar