Great modern coaching philosophies!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettso

pettso Starter

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but rush attempts as a lone statistic doesn't work. Teams that had the ball more on offense (ie. better teams, ones that can sustain drives) will obviously have a higher number of rush attempts. Try doing this same game with % of total plays being rushes.

I'll play your game though...

Coach A - Rex Ryan
    Coach B - John Fox
    Coach C - What you said makes no sense...
    Coach D - No clue, I doubt he won many games if this was in the past 10 years though.

Edit: Just realized you posted the answers somewhere in a post I missed. My bad. Either way, first point stands.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Weak sauce..

1. Rush attempts in comparison to pass attempts! If a team is 1st in rush attempts and last in pass attempts what does that mean? They were a running team! Were they successful? Yes that is the point. It doesn't matter if the QB was a rookie or an 8th year guy they were a running team that won not just in the regular season but also the playoffs.

Bill Cowher, coach D, 2004 and 2005 followed up a 15 win season with a Super bowl winning year while being dead last in pass attempts.

Look what a poster wrote about Bill Cowher while not knowing it was Bill Cowher..
    A poster blared that Alabama ran a lot because they had a Heisman winner. Noooooooooooo! they had a Heisman winning RB because they were a running team.

Would Ingram have won that award playing for Mike Leach or Urban Myer? Of course not.

Is Saben out of touch?

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

It was not presented as a lone statistic it was presented in contrast to their ranking in pass attempts.

thank you for responding..

4. 3gtitan

3gtitan returning video tapes

I dont care if we are first in rushing attempts every year as long as we call a passing play when we need to get a first down, not go 3 and out in the last few minutes of a game only up by 3 or 4 points!!!!

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

A lot of other variables can affect the total amount of rushes. The one that would tend to have the largest effect in this case is "amount of time in the lead." Any successful team will tend to have the lead for the majority of a game. Thus, good teams will typically have more attempts.

Here's what those teams you've provided had in common. Strong defenses and strong O-lines. Our defense, while aggressive, is not comparable to those other teams (Steelers, Jets, etc.) We allow TONS of yards. We can't rely on them to win us games. Furthermore, our O-line isn't playing to its potential. To compensate for this, we really need to mix things up. This doesn't mean we need to quit running. It means that we need to run differently and mix up the downs we run on.

The bottom line is that we don't have the team to be able to run 40+ times and win close games consistently. Again, nothing is wrong with running the ball.

Alabama passes too much imo. I wish we'd run the ball every time until someone stops us. Nothing pisses me off more than that 5 WR set with Ingram/TR out wide.

Edit:

The Saints have a D that is comparable to ours in talent. It's just way better coached.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Show us which ones ran the ball on first and second downs in the fourth while up by 3.

We'll compare them to Fisher.

7. pettso

pettso Starter

So I was wrong about Bill Cowher, my apologies. He only had the best power RB in the league at the time. We have one of the smallest, fastest RBs. Lets mimic their coaching philosophy, right?

8. 3gtitan

3gtitan returning video tapes

the idea of this post makes sense and is a good point.

however, why we arent getting over the hump year in and year out is because of WHEN we call a running play. None of these sucessful coaches are TIMID or showing they have NO faith in their QB's arm....and that is the biggest difference!! last week against Denver is a perfect example of this.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If you are talking about Bettis he was on his last leg those seasons and retired after. Bettis accounted for 31% of the Steelers carries those 2 years and didn't even gain 400 yards in 05.

Again facts over intuition..

FYI anybody who studies Bill Cowher as a coach knows that he ran the ball no matter who his backs were. 6 different backs led his teams in Rushing other than Bettis.

Erric Pegram lead the Steelers in rushing in 95 a super bowl year. Amos Zereoue led them in rushing in 2002. Were they premier power runners?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar