Greetings...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

This is where I took that from...

http://www.titansonline.com/news/titans_news_detail.php?PRKey=5721

In the interview he states

"(on what NFL teams showed him interest in this process)

Tennessee, the Colts, the Jaguars. But nobody showed me as much love as Tennessee. When I came there I already felt like this was the place for me."

If that is true, then it doesn't seem like a lot of teams were targetting him.

Also I think on Sunday Fisher was saying that he got a couple of phone calls of teams that were planning to draft him that round. Only a couple and that's only if you believe Fisher. Personally, I don't believe a thing Fisher says, so...

2. Alex1939

Also I can't believe the Jags would've still selected him since they already drafted 2 DEs by that point, but who knows.

3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Why would they trade up then? Do you think Fisher is lying about thinking other teams wanted Hayes and that they traded the 5th just for the heck of it? If you really like a guy in the fourth round and you're even the remotest bit worried that he'll be taken, you trade up. If you don't like the pick, you don't like the pick, but faulting the front office for trading up a bit in the fourth round just seems like petty complaining for the sake of complaining.

4. Alex1939

the remotest bit worried? :ha:

I think Fisher will spin anything to come out looking better.

Hmm, I wasn't watching the draft at this point. Did the Titans trade up once the Falcons were on the clock? Or did they trade up before then? I assumed the Titans traded up to select someone else that was taken before the pick, and once there went with the next best guy according to our FO.

5. Alex1939

fwiw,

there were only 3 defensive lineman taken after Hayes and before our next draft pick.

Hayes was pick 103.

Bucs took DT Dre Moore 115. Cardinals took DE Iwebema 116. Seahawks took DT Red Bryant 121. Our next pick was 126. Our traded fourth rounder was 124.

The Colts didn't pick til 127. The Jags didn't have a fourth rounder.

Maybe by this point in the draft a positional analysis isn't very useful. Not sure. But the two other teams Hayes thought most interested in him weren't on the clock before our 2nd fourth round pick.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You hit the nail on the head with believing what Fisher says (like drafting Henry in the first last year). But many teams draft players who they don't pay a lot of attention to leading up to the draft. The Titans must have felt he was on the radar of enough teams to warrant moving up. It could totally be smoke and mirrors too.

I'm encouraged the Colts showed interest.

7. Huh? That's exactly what it means. If the Titans had a WR rated ahead of Johnson then they would have taken the WR. It's pretty obvious...

Which team do you work for? Seriously, we as fans like to think we know what we're talking about, but we don't. We don't scout these guys constantly for years like the teams do. We read a few scouting magazines/websites and maybe watch them play a few games and that's it.

Jones is already around 275 area. No reason he can't bulk up between now and training camp. And he can get even bigger with a full season in a pro weight room and on a training program. He certainly has the frame to carry more weight.

So should we not have drafted Derrick Mason? He didn't do squat for years. That's not really abnormal for WRs. Lots of them struggle early on. Plus, the guy was a 4th round pick so I don't think his paycheck is worth worrying about.

8. TM

TM Starter

The reason the Titans moved up for William Hayes is pretty simple. He was the last speed rushing DE on their board. With Kearse injury prone and Ford returning off injury, it was a clear need for the team.

9. Alex1939

I agree it means the Titans had CJ rated higher. But it definately doesn't mean that EVERY other nfl team had CJ rated higher than a WR. As I've said in another thread, just because no WR was taken in the first round, doesn't mean teams didn't have WRs rated first round worthy.

Seriously, scout teams always get it right? Like Chris Henry last year. And Woolfolk and Calico and Dyson over Moss and.....

IF Sweed, Thomas, and DeSaun Jackson all end up having better careers than Chris Johnson are you still gonna say... "well the Titans scout team knows what they are doing"

A lot of professionals think they know what they are doing to. Yet many still fail. So clearly they aren't as expert as you'd like to to think they all are just because they get paid to do the job and put more time into it.

10. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Hey Gut,good to see you

I don't like the CJ pick because it didn't fit the need.

I think he'll be a good player for us but the pick smacks of panic in the draft room to me.

Word on the net is that we wanted a RB & Felix Jones specifically. It's safe to presume that we had a number of RB's graded in order of preference should there be more than one available when we picked.

I don't think it is obvious that if we had another player rated ahead of CJ we'd have taken him. I think our draft room went 'on tilt' for a RB. I can't help feeling that with Jones & Mendenhall being so close but so far we got caught up in picking a RB no matter what & there may have been players at other positions that we graded higher. Pure speculation on my part but it's my 'Gut' feeling.:))

I'm definitely glad we didn't take a WR with our 1st pick but i wanted a stud D Lineman for our D to continue from where it left off last season.Now we are back to question marks over our D line & there needn't have been.

In the 2nd round I rated the WR's available as being well worth moving up for. The 1st day pissed me off & it still does even if the players we've picked work out.I'm pissed because of what could have been.

Day two I grade as a B & think we did well. As soon as I saw Polian's comments on Hayes that was good enough for me & Steven's is a perfect fit for our scheme.

The rest of the group are all solid picks IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar