Griffin bouncing back and forth at safety spots

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

[​IMG]
    Safety Michael Griffin, a sixth-year pro, has been to the Pro Bowl twice.
    (George Walker IV/The Tennessean)

Free safety or strong safety? Strong safety or free safety? These days, Michael Griffin figures things out when he looks around the huddle.

If Robert Johnson is in the game, Griffin is most likely playing strong safety, giving him more run responsibility and allowing Johnson room to range. If Jordan Babineaux is in the game, Griffin is more likely at free safety, with the bulkier Babineaux handling more of the run responsibilities.

“It’s whatever they tell me,” Griffin said. “I go into the game or practice, look around and whoever’s in there, I know what position I’m playing.”

At some point in the near future, Griffin is looking forward to the Titans making a decision on whether to start Johnson or Babineaux, which would give Griffin more clarity as to his spot.

“You just really wish you knew what was going on, but we still have one more preseason week, so I guess once this week is over with, we’ll know where I’m at,” Griffin said. “But right now, I’m just back and forth, back and forth.”

Griffin played primarily free safety alongside Babineaux last year, but when Griffin and Chris Hope played together, the two alternated at times between free and strong safety. Griffin said it doesn’t matter to him which position he plays, and figures the more reps he gets at both spots, the better off he’ll be in case of emergency.

“It’s a good thing to know all the positions,” Griffin said. “It’s good to see what you can do if injuries were to happen, what you’d have to do to work your way around it.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm just happy he's not tackling like a girl anymore.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

He's back to his old self

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

4. JCBRAVE

The 2011 Griffin could never swing both jobs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

This article right here has to let you know that Griff is a changed man.. There is a huge difference between playing FS and SS, and if he is alternating, that lets us know he is becoming the complete package at the safety position.

Also, it looks like Robert Johnson has come a long way. Glad to see him progress.

6. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

Laught at all you Griff haterz. -> :anon:

7. JCBRAVE

There was no bigger Griff hater than myself, but I'm extremely happy with how he's playing this season. Not like I want to hate the guy, but when your lack of intensity hurts my favorite team, I get mad.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

I hope he continues to play well!

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

... It's preseason.

Let's see if he still has his balls when it matters.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. JCBRAVE

Good point, just tryna be optimistic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar