Griffin concerned about Ed Reed precedent

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

The NFL’s disciplinary actions against Ravens safety Ed Reed have Titans safety Michael Griffin concerned about what could happen to him down the line.

Reed was initially suspended for this Sunday’s game – and penalized a $423,529 game-check — for what the league termed a pattern of helmet-to-helmet hits. His latest hit came last Sunday, when Reed was flagged for an unnecessary roughness call against Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders.

Upon appeal, the league overturned the suspension and lowered the fine to $50,000.

But the entire ordeal was still enough to bother Griffin, who has been fined twice this season — $15,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit and $21,000 for a horse-collar tackle. Griffin escaped a fine despite another helmet-to-helmet hit against the Bills.

“I wonder since I got a horse collar this year and a helmet-to-helmet hit, what would be my next fine?” Griffin said. “What would the league do to me? As a defensive player, it puts you in a tough situation because they say you can go low (on a tackle), but if I go low and it’s a deep pass (completed), it’s a big play. And as a secondary, you don’t want to give up the big play.”

Griffin said he thinks that even if the league suspends players, it should set a universal fine amount for all players instead of taking away game checks.

“I don’t think you should fine a game check because everyone’s is different because of the salaries,” Griffin said. “You’re talking about half a million dollars (for Reed) for a hit that wasn’t even that bad of a hit compared to what I’ve seen.”

Griffin has appealed both his fines, but hasn’t heard results on either appeal.

“I’m just mad he already got his appeal already and mine hasn’t come in for either one,” Griffin said. “I’m still $41,000 in the hole.”

Posted In: AFC South, League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

GREAT! Now he's going to play more like a wuss.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Lol this dude is way more worried about losing a check than he is losing a game. FOH you ***** made use to be safety. Retire. F@&K!

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

<---------

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

first thought when reading this article was "why are you concerned? you dont do anything anyways..."

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I only gave you a high-5 because,

well I don't really have a reason

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Serjio

Serjio Starter

Griff has nothing to worry about, he hardly makes contact.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I didn't know that Ed Reed set the precedent for helmet to wiff contact.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. rodgev

rodgev Starter

There are no fines for headshots on air. You should be fine Mr. Griffin

10. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

I dont think michael (cant tackle a peewee) griffin has anything to worry about here. I am POSITIVE all the wide receivers in league will stand up as character witnesses in his defense. Anything just to keep him on the field, right?

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar