Griffin should start at free safety...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

End of discussion...i have made my assessment. Lowry has not been awful but he just isnt impacting as much as Griffen could...

Griffen has been an ace so far....on speical teams coverage he flies to the ball carrier (point 1) he tackes very well(point 2) he shows great speed/awarness in both gettin to the runner or when he is returning. (pooint 3) when he was playing cb he was linining up against WRs...and was covering them pretty darn well [for a rookie safety..] (point 4)....translate that

point 1 - he has a knack to avoid blocks...and get to the carrier..on defense this would probably translate into great run stuffing skills (which is true he already was known in college for being a run stuffing safety)

point 2 - he can tackle very well and lay some really nice hits....he would most likely be a very sure tackling safety on defense...conformed by his college tackle count of 116 and also his 4 forced fumbles too....

point 3 - just his sheer speed....he is really fast...any safety that can return kicks is obviously a faster safety...and with his combine numbers of 4.45 its not hard to see why...that is WR/CB speed gentlemen

point 4 - he has cover skills....maybe not star skills but from my opinion skills that are better then lowry's....

im sorry but these points all point to an all-star safety for years to come if he keeps this up.....so y not start him now...

2. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

EVeryone knows this

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

"Why is Griffen not starting a FS?" is becoming the new "Why is Lamont starting at FS?"

Let's hope this one doesn't take years to be resolved.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

yeah.. hopefully we'll see Fisher mix Griffin into the mix.. kid is too good to leave off the field

5. tflow823

tflow823 Camp Fodder

I don't even care that he isn't starting, I just wish he could get some PT on defense period. Can they not at least throw him in for a few plays here and there?

6. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

Lowery broke up a few passes yesterday. I thought he played well.

7. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

on the whole he played very well.. unfortunately he'll be remembered for that absolutely horrible decision to try to intercept as opposed to knock down the ball when it really mattered.. I just want to see our first round pick out there doing his thing...

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I can't wait to see Griff get in on D, but I've been sold on the idea of seeing him at corner. Especially in our D, a great corner can make much more of an impact that a great FS. I'm glad he wasn't thrown in the mix as a starter too soon and he's had time to learn the defense and settle in. But I agree with your list of skills - he's excelled in everything we've asked him to do. Best of all, his tackles on special teams have shown that he has a fantastic sense of angles and timing... something that has been the weakness of our secondary. I'd like to see him get worked into the rotation sooner than later.

Griffin/Finnegan would be a really solid pair. If/when Pac comes back we could be looking at a fantastic turnaround for our pass D. Run D went from almost last to 1st. Pass D is just a couple of cogs away from that, and Griff/Pac could be all we need.

9. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

agree with it all, but if Pac DOES come back I would definitely have to say move Griffin to FS and let Finnegan and Pac play the corners... if we could have a ballhawk back at FS like the Ravens and Eagles have, it would elevate our defensive secondary to another plane...

imagine CB Pac
    CB Finnegan
    FS Griffin
    SS Hope

friggin' sweet

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

for now, I'd settle for Griff @ Corner
    I think Lowry and Fuller can handle the safety rotation

it seems to be more of a liability to leave Harper out there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar