Griffin vs. Nelson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sledge

Sledge Guest

Ranked? What ranked?

2. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

I honestly didn't see enough of Nelson to compare the two, but in response to some things I've read on this thread, I'd just like to offer three things: an opinion, an explanation and a reference.

#1, the opion - The Cowboys Roy Williams is fabulous against the run, IMO, but atrocious against the pass, IMO.

#2, the explanation - a poster up thread mentioned Griiffen and Texas not looking too good in the four Texas games he saw. Texas was very weak at LB last year and Gene Chizik, the DC, committed to stopping the run at the risk of giving up the pass, consequently many times the DBs were out of postion to support the run and had to use their athleticism to make up for the fact that they were out of position. Nine times out of ten, Griffen was able to do that, however, even the best players can't make up for poor coaching all of the time. Hopefully, the coaching will be better at Tennessee.

#3, the reference - I watched a couple of the highlight reels posted above, but I didn't see my favorite Michael Griffen play and I can't find it on youtube without posting an additional 6 minutes of Rose Bowl highlights, but his interception of Matt Leinart's pass in the endzone midway through the second quarter. Classic. Total athleticim.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

I disagree....find me a video of Pacman blowing up WR's or WR's hearing him coming so they duck (without even short arming).

Gut

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Questions...

Agreed!

If the coaching staff commited to stopping the run, why would the S's be OUT OF POSITION TO STOP THE RUN??? Presumably they would bring up the strong S in the box.

I'm the one who saw him take poor angles and blow tackles. Now he doesn't do it all the time and is nowhere nearly as bad as Lamont. But in watching about the same # of games, I saw him whiff and take bad angles many more times than Nelson did. Griffin vs an option offense didn't stand out and was occasionally exposed. Nelson...vs the wildcat formation and one of the best runners in college made all the plays his front 7 didn't.

We'll see how they both do in the pros. I expect both to be good players but I think Nelson could be great.

No one's saying Griffin's not athletic or isn't a good player. I just think Nelson is a better FS vs the pass. I will be interested to see if they move him to CB.

Gut

5. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

Griffin = Sean Taylor

Nelson = Adam Archuleta

now thats a debate.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Reggie Nelson can't tackle. People tried to argue with me, but he can't. He dives in every single time hoping for a madden-type tackle. Never wraps up or uses his arms.
    It's like throwing a spear at the ball carrier. One move, and he'd never see which way they went. He'd just know that grass doesn't taste good.

7. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

exactly and griffin tackles are always hard hitting knockouts kinda like sean taylor who ive repeatevely said he reminds me of him 100%. this guy is gonna be great.

8. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

Thanks for the further explanation. I think I left out a comma or just wrote what I said badly, because I meant to say he was out of position in passing situations rather than in running situations, but if you were talking about him against the run as compared to Nelson, then okay. Like I said, I didn't really see enough of Nelson to compare the two. But thanks for taking the time to let me know where you were coming from.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

thankfully he wont be seeing much option in the pro's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar