Group eyes possibility of new football league

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

think of it this way... how many college kids come out and go undrafted?
    does anyone even have an estimate? I have no idea... many do not even declare because they know better than to waste their time.

an NFL team can only have what? 53 players and a 6 man practice squad? For the sake of simple math we'll round it up to 60 players max per team. That's 1920 players in the NFL... less really 'cause we called it 60... so less than 1900 anyways...

alrighty then... that takes us to the nfl draft. What's that 7 rounds? 32 teams? that's 224 plus supplementary picks... this year there were 255 picks in the draft... Then of course there is the suppplementary draft which has so few players chosen it's hardly worth mentioning... the point is that the odds of a player making it to the nfl are so slim... but don't overlook how many kids are coming out but just don't have the size or the speed or the skill to make it to the nfl? I can't even begin to estimate how many potential players could make up the new league.

The bottom line is that it would be a great secondary developmental league. I could see the NFL plucking late blooming stars away from the new league... besides... you can never have enough full contact, full size, eleven man a side ball on television. I really hope NBC picks it up for Friday night. I would watch...

now.. one more remark... let's please not compare this to XFL. XFL was pro wrestling in shoulder pads and football pants with a helmet. America needs a new football league. Personally, I hope it's a spring league and the games are played always at night. It could run February through May. If it was broadcast over the air it could compete head to head with NFLE but would have a significant distribution advantage on account of NFLE and the NFL Network in general are obscured in premium subscription packages.

2. The XFL was basically NFL/NCAA rules football. There were some silly twists, but it was basically just football. And it ended up being a bust. Just like the WLAF before it.

I don't think fans will embrace it any more than they did the XFL or WLAF. Unless they think they can outbid the NFL for good players, they aren't going anywhere. Plus, it sounds as if they plan to play during the fall, so they'd also be competing against the NCAA and high schools...

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The guy is nuts to think he can compete with NFL/NCAA/High School football.

I think professional dodge ball has a better chance than another football league.

4. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

As long as its clean rules and no dumb crap like the ball can be bounced off a net and you can powerbomb someone im cool with it.

Gimme a PA team and Ill watch every game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar