Hard for Jags to follow Del Rio's 'stay positive' credo

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky Jack Del Rio told Jacksonville media Monday that he's encouraging the Jaguars to stay positive.

"I talked to them this morning about keeping the faith, about the need for us to keep playing, about the need for us to bring positive energy, starting with me," he said. "We're going to be positive, we're going to go play and we're going to compete and that's what I believe in."

That echoed what Del Rio said in the locker room after the loss in Cincinnati.

"It was one of those messages that getting upset, hollering, and screaming isn't going to stop the pain (of losing)," defensive end Reggie Hayward said. "You have to learn from this pain. You have to accept it. If you don't want to experience it again, do what you've got to do to win the game. It was one of those messages that coaches give to players to get them to react."

It all sounds good. After since he came out of the previous week's loss to Cleveland angry, it may well be the right way for Del Rio to have gone.

But one has to wonder if the message -- any message, positive or negative -- will get through now that the Jaguars have fallen all the way to 3-5 and if Del Rio has enough talent to respond to it in an effective way.

A team that won a playoff game a year ago and came into the season with grand expectations should not be at the midway point talking about the need for more fight, but that's exactly what David Garrard was saying after Jacksonville provided the Bengals with their first win of the year.

"I just know we have to have more fight," Garrard said. "We have to have more execution as a team. And we have to have more want-to. That's what it really boils down to -- being out on the field and competing."

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar