Harry "zero separation" Douglas invaluable?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PRAY IV M3RCY, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

You confuse Mularkey with Whiz. Mularkey is more straight forward and doesn't hold on to things that don't work nearly as much as Whiz did. He let's JRob make personnel decisions and didn't make a peep when DMC was cut.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. kenny

kenny Starter

http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-...-has-a-soft-spot-for-dexter-mccluster-but-why

Mularkey casts McCluster, who turns 28 on Aug. 25, as a “game-wrecker” who can break a game open.

“I still believe it, yeah,” Mularkey said. “He’s a guy that has the ability to score when the ball is in his hands. I just watched the Carolina game. Our longest run of the year was him for a (44-yard) touchdown. I think maybe some of the things we are going to do differently will help him do that. Putting him in better situations with our scheme.”

And Mularkey loves McCluster in the locker room. One of his very first acts when he became interim coach on Nov. 3, 2015, was to remove the captaincy of left tackle Taylor Lewan and give it to McCluster.

Mularkey was the one in love with McCluster & had this to say about him being a valuable piece to the offense.

I do not have him confused with Whiz. Mularkey was the same way with Antonio Andrews at RB. Yes, he is straight forward about SOME guys; but he is just as protective of others...... Like Harry Douglas & McCluster.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. kenny

kenny Starter

His straight forward approach to some guys; and protective nature of guys who do not contribute is strange. Again, I think it is very much like Fisher. He gets emotionally attached to some guys.

From a Mularkey interview:
    “When we put the game plans together on Mondays and Tuesdays, it is harder to game plan (without him),’’ Mularkey said of McCluster. “When you don’t have a Dexter you are trying to figure out how you can get some match-up problems with other people. He is a match-up problem. We try to use him to get him in different positions. It makes it harder. Not having him for punt returns, I trust these other guys, but they are not Dexter"

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. kenny

kenny Starter

And if you look it's not hard to find several lines where Mularkey labeled McCluster as "Hard to replace" a "Game Wrecker" or a guy who "Makes the team better"....... Pretty high praise for a guy that never proved he was ANY of those things on the field.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with a HC liking a guy. I do think it's really unrealistic to paint guys like McCluster & Douglas as important pieces to the offense.

Younger more promising players should absolutely not be cut to accommodate keeping guys like Douglas. It just doesn't make sense. He is not going to add anything to the offense with all the added youth the team now has....... He didn't add anything last year; when we desperately needed help at the position.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Laugh. Out. ****ing. Loud.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Did Mularkey keep DMC? Did he seem hurt or pound the table for Dexter? Or did the Titans move on?

What's bad about a Head Coach saying nice things about a player? Wasn't those words he used what we all wanted from Dex? Did it happen, no. Mularkey ok'd the cut his first year as Head Coach and the team went on to overachieve and win 9 ballgames.

But hate on Mularkey all you want for cutting Dexter McCluster.

Mularkey and Robiskie both go way back with Harry Douglas, and if they think Harry is valuable to that locker room, who cares. I don't have a hard time believing that they will indeed cut Harry and make that tough decision if they feel it's best for the team.

Is Harry a better WR than Weems, undoubtedly. Is he a kickoff gunner, no.

What's the argument again, that Mularkey loves Harry Douglas as much as he loves Dexter whom he cut in training camp last year?

OK

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  7. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Douglas had 3 receptions for 49 yards against the Jets, a very nice 16.3 yards per catch average. The only Titans receiver who did better was Taylor with 4 catches for 56 yards.

Yes, it was a preseason game but "Zero separation" Douglas is still doing a few things right. I didn't predict Douglas to make the 53-man roster in this thread (https://gotitans.com/threads/opening-day-53-man-roster-predictions.98307/page-2#post-1659013) but if he keeps outperforming the younger guys, he's liable to make the 53-man roster again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. UnknownHinson

UnknownHinson Starter

Harry Douglas IV (born September 16, 1984) is an American footballwide receiver for the Tennessee Titans of the National Football League (NFL).

Tajae will have to settle for Harry Douglas the fifth

• LOL LOL x 4
  9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

[​IMG]
    Mr Hartsock says 'tell Shawne - head on a swivel MoFo'

#19 GoT, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    • LOL LOL x 1
  10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...fairly certain the GM decides who is cut and who is not and Mularkey has little power in this regard one would think.

Mularkey can praise anyone he wants but the idea that he loves certain players who aren't nearly as important as he makes them out to be is the concern. And of course, this is why we have JRob who will say something like...show me how DMC was a difference maker and invaluable and when Mularkey can't do that...it's bye bye.

Now Douglas may just be a big positive locker room guy. I don't know that. And Douglas is a very solid backup slot wr who can be productive in doses. But he's getting worse...not better from his prime. Keeping him is not the 'problem' for a year. It's losing out on the future of the other guys who MAY have a bigger upside and can produce as well on the field this year. That's the opportunity cost to keeping Douglas. On the other hand, if Weems is one of our 6 (meaning we have 5 wr's and 2 of them are rookies...Mularkey may want another vet wr as a backup).

To me it's a bit overkill.

Due to the length of time before cuts, this will be a battle hashed out over a couple more weeks and we'll see all of these guys (healthy) compete in more practices and games.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar