Has Munch been unlucky this season?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RockyTop Fox, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I live in New England and all anyone up here has talked about on the radio and newspaper is Ridley's fumble and the no-call on the Gronk PI. The fans aren't focusing on coaching related issues because they realize that the coaching was good enough to win the game. And believe me I'm not in the least way saying that Munch deserves anywhere near the benefit of the doubt Belichick gets. I know I'm probably annoying people because I'm totally going against the anti-Munch vibe (even though I'm not necessarily pro-Munch) but trust me I'm not just trying to be a contrarian. Just like you guys I love this team to death it's just that when I watch them I come to a different conclusion.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

What exactly are we disagreeing on? Are you of the opinion that there is not distinction between "fault" and "responsibility"? Or is your opinion that Munchak is not responsible for player execution? Because my opinion is that there is a definite distinction between the two and a head coach is responsible for all elements of team performance whether not he is at fault.

I'm interested because I don't understand how that concept does not appear to be universal.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

If Locker hits his throw on 3rd down vs Houston, we win,Pollard doesn't hit Smith late out of bounds, we win vs. K.C.,if Brown falls on that fumble, we win vs. Seattle,If CJ doesn't cough the ball up twice vs. Jax we win,If Wiggles doesn't fumble vs. Indy,we win.

It does suck in a way to think that if a few more plays went our way this season we could've easily been 9-1 this year.We have been very unlucky this season in regards to things going our way.

4. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

but same could be said about our wins too.... hunter drops the ball vs san diego and we lose that game. We didn't exactly open our offense in Pittsburgh either. The jets game was solid but vs a rookie qb and we beat the rams which was a lot tougher than I thought it would be.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

People better hope Munch gets lucky, cause every time we try to blow things up and rebuild, this is all that happens.

[​IMG]

6. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I hope he hits the unemployment line come January! Loggains can stand right behind too for all I care

7. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

I don't mind Munch starting some veterans over rookies. Any logical head coach would do that when his job is on the line. It didn't work out, but they were the right decisions at the time. The firing of the Special Teams and Linebackers coaches bothers me though. That's one huge mistake he made that cannot be defended.

Yeah you can blame coaching for a portion of it, but where do you draw the line? When is it more the players fault, or more the coaches fault?

At the end of the season, I still think it will be too much. Munch will get the boot, and I can't argue against that decision too much. But I will argue that Munch has done a much better job than most people here give me credit for.

8. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I don't disagree on the distinction between blame and responsibilty. Where we disagree is that I don't believe someone should be fired for something that is not their fault even if they are in a position of responsibility. My approach is to find the reason or cause of the under-performance and rectify it. I feel that only firing the person in charge without addressing the underlying issues just sets the next person in charge up for failure. In this case while Munch is the head coach and as such in a position of responsibility, I do not believe his replacement will adequately address the team's under-performance because in my eyes he is not the cause of the problem in the first place.

The lack of talent in Tennessee has existed for a very long time and is no secret. One of the reasons people around the league admired Fisher so much is because for a while he was able to win with what most considered to be vastly inferior talent outside of a few guys. Once the gap between our talent level and that of the rest of the league became to big to overcome, Fisher came to be loathed for losing. After that we just passed the buck from Fish to Munch without substantially improving the team's talent level. I fear that this cycle will continue unless we address our talent level.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Coach, is that you?

10. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Haha meant to say "him" of course. Nice eye, though. Better eye than guys like Reynaud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar