Has Munch been unlucky this season?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RockyTop Fox, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I am in buddy! We need changes, willing to do whatever it takes!

2. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Implying he would be more inclined to fire Munch? Bud loved Munch, he was his personal pick.

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

No. Implying me and another forum member could move him around Weekend at Bernies style and make decisions on his behalf. :)

Seriously though, everyone knew it was a playoffs or bust year for Munch as far as Bud was concerned. Munch even admitted it himself. So yeah, if Bud were still here and we miss the playoffs I fully believe Munch would have been fired.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Hmmm, how about the fact that that Patriots team even without Brady was much more talented than we could even dream of being this season? That matters. still no one has addressed the fact that no matter how good coaching is it can't prevent players from making physical mistakes on the field.Why is Ridley still losing fumbles? Why are the receivers dropping balls? Please address why if coaching is all that matters these issues occurred in the first place and continue to happen.

That Patriots team was favored to win the superbowl that year. How can you compare them to our current Titans? We were 6-10 last season and before the season started even liberal estimates had us being 10-6 at best, would you really expect that team to light the league up when their starting QB has played in only half their games?

Yeah, Cassel hasn't set the world on fire since leaving NE but he played good, mistake free football that year and was brought in as a starter for the Chiefs the following year. Granted, Cassel eventually proved himself to be nothing more than a serviceable QB but to be honest what are the chances Jake Locker or Fitz get brought on to another team as a starter next season if released? That alone tells you that Cassel at his best was better. Our talent level is not comparable to that NE team, the fact that they didn't implode after Brady got knocked out does point to good coaching but it wasn't just the coaching, the players around the QB all had to nut up and raise their level of play which they did. We're not doing that. We're committing costly mistakes and shooting ourselves in the foot repeatedly on the field.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

As I've said before, I won't be surprised one bit if Munch is retained. But it'll likely be yet another wasted season. Munch has done NOTHING to warrant keeping his job. He hasn't made the playoffs in 3 seasons. He's 4/15 in the division. He's lost to the worst team in the league every single year he's been HC.

It was pretty clear last year that we should just go ahead and move on from Munch. Still, people wanted to make excuses for him. And so here we are. Sucking again and now people are just making different excuses for him. You guys who are okay with him being back next year must really enjoy watching other teams in January.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Unlike most people I differentiate between excuses and legitimate reasons. I find that when people are upset with someone,no matter how good the reason is all they hear is excuses and I do believe that is happening with Munch right now.

However, it's hard to argue with your point that Munch hasn't done much to warrant keeping his job. Aside from the fact that his team makes mind-numbingly stupid mistakes there aren't really any concrete arguments that point to the fact that he's the guy. If we finish 8-8, 9-7 at best one could make the argument that we have steadily improved win-wise during his tenure even if the improvement admittedly hasn't come fast enough.

I don't even know how to feel about all this. I get the sinking feeling that even if Much was fired tomorrow unless we load up on talent through the draft and FA nothing will really improve regardless of who we bring in. Great coaching can only make up for so much lack of talent and as we've found out the hard way by going from Fisher to Munch the grass isn't always greener sometimes it's just a slightly different hue of suck. Things can change a whole lot without ever actually improving.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I differentiate too. I've even said I believe he has some very legitimate excuses. But none of that changes the fact that, 3 years into the job, he has NOTHING to hang his hat on. Absolutely nothing. No real accomplishments. And that's really not even up for debate. That's the sad part.

Not really. He went 9-7 his first year. 6-10 his second year. And say 8-8/9-7 his third year. How is that steady improvement?

I really think you're underestimating the impact a good coach can have on a football team. And I certainly don't accept 'Fisher to Munch' being a good example of the "the grass isn't always greener". We went from a mediocre head coach to one of that mediocre HC's position coaches. Why is anyone shocked that we're seeing even more mediocrity?

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I agree completely with SawdustMan. Munch has done nothing as a HC besides stall this team from rebuilding for 3 years. he knows nothing about player evaluation and that is why wiggles will be returning kicks sunday. MUNCH SUCKS!!!!!! Same goes for you LOGGAINS you worthless OC!

9. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

I don't think any of us strongly want him back.. we only understand that this season may not be to blame on Munch. We also know that there's a decent chance that Munch will return next season.

As much as I want Munch gone at times, there's a part of me that feels like he can be a good coach. He whooped Baltimore in his home opener, damn near beat New Orleans and led us to a 9-7 record DESPITE fluke losses to Jacksonville and Indy. We could easily have been an 11-12 win team that year, and no one would be calling for his head.

2012 was awful, I'll blame him and his coordinators for most of it.

2013 should have been great, but this time the players f*cked it up. I give Munch a pass this year.

Call it a hunch, but Munch has, and can coach good games. If our team would just get their sh*t together, we'd be a 10+ win team for years to come. Munch can do it.

Keep in mind that Munch and his coordinators have coached/called well enough to win every game this season except for San Fran. Fumbles, bad throws, and penalties have accounted for 5 of our 6 losses. At some point you have to blame the head coach, but at what point do you draw the line? Munch has had this team in position to be 9-1, but his players have ruined it to a 4-6 record.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

It's not about underestimating the impact of coaching. The most important thing coaching can do is putting players in the best possible position to succeed. After that though, the player still has to execute. It's the execution part that is absolutely killing us and since coaches can't execute for you, I doubt coaching will fix this. It's like if a player is slow as hell. No coaching is going to bring a guy's 40 time from 4.8 down to 4.4, that's not how coaching works.

My grass is greener comment is in reference to the fact change for it's own sake doesn't always lead to improvement. What if we go from Much to someone we believe will be better than Munch but the team continues to under-perform? Then what? Keep in mind that most people on here liked replacing Munch with Fisher especially that 9-7 year. People overrated Much a bit because they were so anxious to get rid of Fisher, I fear we might do the same thing again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar