Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Has the NFL peaked?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by World Peace, Jan 28, 2013.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. World Peace WAKE UP AMERICA - NFL IS OVERRATED

Moolah:
    $3,650
    I was reading an interesting article on ESPN where Bernard Pollard went on to say:

"Thirty years from now, I don't think it (THE NFL) will be in existence. I could be wrong. It's just my opinion, but I think with the direction things are going -- where [NFL rules makers] want to lighten up, and they're throwing flags and everything else -- there's going to come a point where fans are going to get fed up with it," he told the website.
    "Guys are getting fined, and they're talking about, 'Let's take away the strike zone' and 'Take the pads off' or 'Take the helmets off.' It's going to be a thing where fans aren't going to want to watch it anymore.""

If Pollard is right, he's basically saying the NFL's popularity has peaked the King Goodell is going to run off all of the fans by watering down the game with excessive rule changes. I always think football will exist in one way or another and if people want to see the product of the 80s, 90s and early 2000s... Why wouldn't investors come forward and try to recreate a league built on those principles? I don't think it will be Vince McMahon or Donald Trump... but people want what they want and someone will sell it to them... Investors would be foaming at the mouth.

Is he right or wrong or was he simply trying to make a point.
  2. JCBRAVE Welcome to my world, now sit down and listen up

Casey
    Moolah:
    $209,279
    Thats an old article, but if Goodell is doing anything, its preserving the game so there will be an NFL in 30 years.

I however hate Goodell and his flag league, so yes, the NFL has peaked.
  3. World Peace WAKE UP AMERICA - NFL IS OVERRATED

Moolah:
    $3,650
  4. JCBRAVE Welcome to my world, now sit down and listen up

Casey
    Moolah:
    $209,279
    That article is from last year my man, hate to break it to you
  5. JCBRAVE Welcome to my world, now sit down and listen up

Casey
    Moolah:
    $209,279
    He was knocking Goodell last year when he was a Texan, said all the same exact stuff.
    • Tip Jar Donor

Scarecrow CEO of PPO

Wright
    Moolah:
    $340
    That quote is old, I think we even had a thread about it not too long ago.
    JCBRAVE high fives this.
  6. The Hammer I already got half a buzz on

Matthews 2
    Moolah:
    $11,033
    I think Bernard Pollard was just speaking out of frustration. Much ado about notiong.
  7. Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Bishop
    Moolah:
    $1,355
    I don't. Teams are giving monster contracts to players, so they increase ticket/concession prices while the average fan is making less. TV viewership will keep getting higher, less concession sales etc. They've priced themselves too high, and on top of that are fining the players for every minute infraction. It's definitely going down hill and fans have already started speaking with their wallets.
  8. The Hammer I already got half a buzz on

Matthews 2
    Moolah:
    $11,033
    [IMG]
    Ghost high fives this.
  9. The Hammer I already got half a buzz on

Matthews 2
    Moolah:
    $11,033
    But their revenues keep going up. I do not see it. If fans are speaking with their wallets then they are saying they are fine with it. Even if they slip a lot they will still be making money hand over fist. Their business model gurantees it. Also, by playing so few games they have a big leg up on the other pro sports leagues. They always leave fans wanting more.

Also, I hear people complain but I do not see people leaving the NFL en mass. Hardcore fans are hardcore fans.