Hasselbeck’s self-evaluation: “I could do better”

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans quarterback Matt Hasselbeck isn’t the kind of player who gives himself a pat on the back for just anything.

Two days after his top practice performance of training camp (he was 17-for-22 with an interception on Tuesday, and also ran a crisp two-minute drill), Hasselbeck said he still has plenty of room for improvement.

“I could do better,” Hasselbeck said. “I could definitely do better.”

Anything in particular?

“Calling the plays better, new concepts … and then obviously making better decisions and better throws,” Hasselbeck said.

The 13-year veteran explained, however, that there are asterisks that should come with quarterback training-camp numbers – whether in reference to Hasselbeck or Jake Locker.

“Part of training camp right now is that we’re trying out some new concepts, some new people,” Hasselbeck said. “We’re not trying to win games right now. I used the analogy the other day that you’re trying the different (golf) clubs in your bag.”

He offered an example.

“It’s an opportunity to let guys show what they can do, so you take a shot sometimes,” Hasselbeck said. “Maybe it’s a one-on-one with a receiver against Tommie Campbell, with man coverage in press.

“You’d never want to take that in real life. But you know what? We’ll take it. We will make Tommie prove he’s as good as we think he is, and we’ll give our (back-up receiver) a chance … and maybe he can win. Things like that.

“So there’s a fine line between trying to be successful and also understanding the time of year it is.”

Much of the media attention surrounding the Titans has been on the quarterback competition between Hasselbeck and Locker, but Hasselbeck said he’s been able to tune it out.

“That’s not hard for me at all,” Hasselbeck said. “I just have not taken that (worried) approach ever, really. Maybe aside from my first year in the league when I was comparing every throw I had to Brett Favre. That was a little depressing, so I came up with a new strategy.”

Hasselbeck offered a running analogy to explain how he goes about his business.

“Whether it’s the quarterback or any other position, when you talk about competing or being a competitor, there’s two types,” Hasselbeck said. “The kind of guy who’s running and looking next to him, like, `Am I ahead of everybody else?’

“Then there’s the kind of guy who’s running and isn’t worried about everyone else. He’s just worried about himself and, `Is this the best I can do?’ That’s the better mindset to take. That’s the approach I try to take.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

This is the good thing about Hass. This is the polar opposite of the QB situation we had a few years ago.

3. Pro Football Talk

Pro Football Talk Titans News

[float][​IMG][/float] The Titans quarterback competition is in full swing and Matt Hasselbeck thinks he could be doing a better job in his effort to win the job over Jake Locker.

“Calling the plays better, new concepts … and then obviously making better decisions and better throws,” Hasselbeck said, via David Glennon of the Tennessean, when asked about what things he could be doing better.

That sounds like good news for Locker on the surface, although Hasselbeck went on to say that this time of the year isn’t just about personal success. It’s also about trying out the new concepts he mentioned up top and seeing what different players can do in different situations. Hasselbeck said he’s been focusing on those things instead of the competition, which he doesn’t view in terms of simply doing a little bit better than Locker.

“Whether it’s the quarterback or any other position, when you talk about competing or being a competitor, there’s two types,” Hasselbeck said. “The kind of guy who’s running and looking next to him, like, ‘Am I ahead of everybody else?’ Then there’s the kind of guy who’s running and isn’t worried about everyone else. He’s just worried about himself and, ‘Is this the best I can do?’ That’s the better mindset to take. That’s the approach I try to take.”

It’s definitely a smart approach in these situations. Mike Lombardi of the NFL Network called Locker the frontrunner for the starting job earlier this week, but Hasselbeck might be able to turn things around by ignoring that and focusing only on his game.

[​IMG]
    Source: Pro Football Talk

4. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

Well we know what we gonna get from Hasselbeck. I'm sure he's gonna play about as good as you could ask a QB to play; other than the elite guys.

But we don't know what Locker can do, he could be as good as Hasselbeck or he could be one of the rare Favre like QB's.

5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Wow, so well put. Especially how little the numbers mean when you're taking chances you'd never take in games to allow a guy a chance to prove himself.

Hass is a real pro.

6. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Hass is surely one the best signings by the FO in the last decade. We have the right guy for the job, certainly talented enough to do the job and teach the intangibles to a potentially great QB.

Either way, I can find nothing bad with our QB situation, no matter who starts.

7. QGP

QGP MIKE HONCHO

Just imagine if we would have signed Mcnabb.:crazy:

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

McNabb? Ha! Who the hell wanted him.... Hasselbeck was the guy I wanted once I saw him and Marshawn Lynch beat the Saints.

Give Hasselbeck a wingman and he can get us to the Super Bowl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar