Hate to say it guys

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TNTitans58, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oilers81

Oilers81 Camp Fodder

I understand that replacing a good D coordinator with a not so good one can have a negative impact, but I don't think it will go from top 10 to bottom 10 with the loss of Wade.

With the Titans clearly Schwartz had some effect, but Fat Albert also had a pretty big effect as well. The problem with using that on the Texans is that the two scenarios are completely different. In 2009 the Texans defense was middle of the pack, in 2010 it went WAAAY down hill, but why?

In 2010 Brian Cushing was suspended and didn't play well the rest of the season, Demeco Ryans was out for the season, Conner Barwin was out for the season, Dunta Robinson was let go to the Falcons and replaced with a rookie who was completely abused all season, and Mario Williams played hurt all year.

Fast forward to this year, Barwin is back, Demeco Ryans back, JJ Watt added, Brooks Reid added, Jonathan Joseph added, Daniel Manning added, all of which have had a noticeable impact on defense.

While adding Wade Phillips probably has had an impact due to his play calling, I think most of it is the change in personnel from 2010 to 2011, and those guys aren't going anywhere next year even if Wade does. Maybe losing him will impact the defense, but from top of the pack to the bottom.... I doubt it.

Seriously, look at the stats for those guys if you just total them all up.

Those players alone:

23 sacks
    6 int's
    4 ff's
    1 blocked FG

Then if you add in a Brian Cushing playing good football again that's another

4 sacks
    2 int's
    2 FF's

Cushing had 1.5 sacks and 1 FF with no picks in 2010.

Seriously, that's simply a HUGE change in your defensive personnel that clearly had a HUGE impact.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

Yes because one year of mild success over a bunch of average teams means a force to contend with. Every year is different. They could be 0-16 next year or 13-3. If we already knew who the best team was going to be every year then why even play?

3. Oilers81

Oilers81 Camp Fodder

I don't think anyone would say they know for sure how ANY team will do in the NFL, but I think the point is 13-3 is FAR more likely than 0-16. And, number 2 overall defense isn't a mild success regardless of the teams they played.

4. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

they have played one dominant offense the whole year and got beat 40-33....of the other teams they played...2 of the teams were awful(colts and jags) each played twice...we played them twice and our offense was down--the browns(enough said)--pitt would be a decent offense dont remember the game but it was low scoring from a defensive battle...panthers were streaky...they didnt really play that many teams that were dominant offenses so it wouldnt of been hard to get a number 2 ranked defense...

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

The most impressive win by the Texans this year was at home against Pitt. That's a really good win but after that nothing really.

Also look at the teams they've played, it's not like they've played a lot of good offenses...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/hou/houston-texans

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Oilers81

Oilers81 Camp Fodder

Look at all of the top 10 ranked defenses, none of them have played a LOT of good offenses, and the good offenses generally put up points no matter who they play especially when they play at home.

7. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

I personally do not see how anyone can say the Texans won't be a good team next year. As a fan of the game, I try to look at things objectively regardless of the team. What I see in the Texans is a team with a REALLY good defense and and a damn good running game. I'm sorry but we all know if you can slow teams down and control time of possession through a dominate rushing attack your going to win some games in this league.

With that being said, I'm not ready to write them off as a "Perennial Contender" or crown them kings of the AFC South yet either. I'm just stating the fact that they will definitely be a good team. Everyone is debating about whether or not Matt is a clutch QB or not. Very few mentioned the fact that he doesn't have to be clutch...just good (because of the talent of his team). I'm going to take it another level and say he don't have to be good just efficient. With the Texans running game and defense they will have a chance to win as long as they don't turn the ball over (see 2011 49ers). With so much going on at the QB position this year the Texans IMO proved they can dominate the line of scrimmage and run the ball! Teams knew they wasn't going to throw the ball much with Lienart/Yates in the game and STILL couldn't stop their ground game. No matter how you look at it that is impressive. This is no different than when CJ was running all over teams and no one could stop it. We wasn't doing anything special when we were running the ball with share dominance. We lined up SHOWED where we wanted to go with the ball and dared teams to stop it. We didn't go further during those years because our defense was weak. The Texans do not have that problem as their defense is great. With that defense and running game they simply need a QB who can make timely throws down the field enough to keep opposing teams honest. Matt definitely can do that.

Clutch QBs are clutch because they have to be. If I had to choose I would rather not put my QB in a position where he has to be clutch consistently. The reason being there are probably less than 5 QBs in this league that you can honestly say are consistently clutch over the course of a season not alone their career.

I love hearing the fact that we are looking at the top of the Texans defense and that they will decline. Maybe they will maybe they won't. However, I don't think anyone should claim they are smart enough to know whether they will or won't. Some teams just have an eye for building good defense that stands the test of time. I.E. Steelers, Ravens, Bears (they fell off lately but still history probably suggest they should be mentioned here), etc. Who is to say the Texans can't be next in line? If the Texans loose Wade Phillips it will certainly impact their defense in a major way. The 3-4 is a tricky system to run and more importantly to call. A lot of teams have the talent to run the 3-4 but very few has the DC to properly call it.

I think the Texans will be a good team for a few years to come as long as they continue to build upon and lean on that defense/ground game. If the Titans are not careful and start building defenses that can actually STOP the run, we may find ourselves yet again looking up trying to catch the team holding the title of AFC South Champions.

8. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Texans won't be a good team next year.

9. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

What basis are you saying that on?

10. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Reality

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar