Hatts off 2 dem' Cards....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by DirtySouthBoyz, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveH

SteveH Starter

Perhaps the umps are paid these days to make it interesting?!

Just struck me watching the game how many great plays there were by WR's .. got me thinking yet again about our WR corps and that argument over whether we need a game breaking wideout - judging by last night, the answer's yes, without question

2. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Ok. Here's the rule for the questionable end to the game.

Note 1: When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional movement forward of his hand starts a forward pass. If a Team B player contacts the passer or the ball after forward movement begins, and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled, regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player.

I've got two things that bother me about the ruling of a fumble instead of an incomplete pass.

1) Warner is hit before his arm begins forward movement. However, he keeps his hand on the ball and brings the ball forward (while the defender's hand is also on the ball). If you rewatch the play through, Warner's hand never leaves the ball until he releases it forward (note the forward trajectory and spiral of the ball). To me, this is an incomplete pass.

2) How on God's green earth could the officials not review this play? They reviewed every other close play that happened inside of two minutes. This was a change of possession call that sealed the victory for the Steelers. Don't you think this play is worthy of reviewing from the booth? And, I don't want to hear that the play was reviewed, because even my wife knows how long it takes to review a play. There was no pause in action, no review.

And for those of you who say that even if they had ruled an incomplete pass, Arizona had no real chance of winning - remember, there was a personal foul called on the Steelers after the play was over. Arizona would have had the ball inside the 35 with one last shot to Larry Fitzgerald.

Pitiful year for officiating and the NFL's excuses for poor officiating.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

No, it should have. Your the only one who is pointing out that block in the back, because there was none. I'm not saying the refs called a great game but fact is, with 2 minutes left the Cardinals couldn't hang on to the lead.

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

NOT TO MENTION...unless I'm just an idiot, shaking an imaginary material out of the ball into your hand, then throwing the ball, along with said material (a la Lebron James w/ his baby powder) over your head backward, CLEARLY constitutes as using the ball as a PROP IN A CELEBRATION, a GUARANTEED 15-yarder which was a NO CALL. WTF REFS? Rewatch it, it's clearly in violation of the rule. Not that I care for that particular rule, I think it's wack to be honest, but the fact is it should have been a 15 yard penalty assessed after the kickoff, then the penalty after the incompletion-called-fumble would have put them in the RED ZONE. The fact that they didn't review that fumble is absolutely unjustifiable. Why leave room for this conversation on the last play of the Super Bowl? Pitiful officiating yet again prevails

5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj5blYOvOII
    Watch the angle from 5:52. He has lost the grip when he makes the forward progress, it is correct as called, a fumble

That's just wrong man. The defender was behind him and swatted down at the ball. If it was truly a fumble, then how the hell did the ball come out of Kurt Warners hand which was moving forward and land about 5 yards in front of him?

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Rewatch the play. About 25 yards out from scoring, a Pittsburg player launches himself into the back of a Cardinals player, knocking both of them out of bounds. If that isn't a block in the back, what is?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r1K-qhl7vig&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r1K-qhl7vig&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Around 13 seconds into the video is the block in the back I'm talking about. 2 Hands on the cardinals player's back.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

No secret that the Steelers are more marketable than the Cardinals. And the NFL always does its best to make sure the money-making team wins.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Regardless of a fumble or not, you just HAVE to review the play.

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

That's not a block in the back, he hit him in the shoulder.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It's iffy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar