Have the Titans given up on Young?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Playmaker, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

What is obvious to me (and I agree with Jeff that our offense will focus more on the RB and TE) is that the FO looked at the WRs in this draft and simply didn't see a bunch of guys that would truly be an upgrade to what we already had. Why in the world would we be stupid enough to draft a WR in the first three rounds who we don't think will be an upgrade?

There is an assumption by many that Limas Sweed would be the true #1 WR VY really needs. Well, 31 other teams agreed with MR that Sweed wasn't a #1 guy because no way would he make it out of the first round if he was. Bottom line is there isn't really a can of beans difference between Sweed and Justin Gage and Gage is going to give us more production the next couple of years because rarely do WRs step in and contribute right away. Add in the fact we have 3rd and 4th round picks from last year who could still blossum not to mention Ealy, Mike Williams (another Sweed clone when he isn't over weight) and Jones and R. Williams what is the point of drafting Sweed?

Like Jeff said, we could have the next Mason on the roster right now and Hawkins in the 4th round is a much better value than Sweed and might end up being a better pro IMO.

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yes, there are 2 things going on here:

1) As several have said, we're just not interested in running a pass-oriented offense. That's not to say they wouldn't love more talent at the WR position, but Fisher & crew don't believe it's absolutely critical to win, either.

2) Riverman hit it on the head - they feel the problem with the passing game isn't all at WR. It's been reported plenty that Dinger came in and was happy with the WR crew we have. They've been poorly utilized - partly due to the offensive playcalling, and partly due to having a 2nd year developing QB.

Crumpler will help a ton - we actually did move the ball last year, but ended with FGs way too often. It's tough for a young QB to feel comfortable in the redzone, and a solid TE has to be a go-to guy there. I still believe in Vince - he improved in some areas last year, and I'm very relieved to hear Heimerdinger is focusing on his poor footwork. Give him another year or 2 and our offense will look much different - even if we have the same personnel. Throw in Chris Johnson and we should be able to get in the endzone enough to take the pressure of the defense.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't remember a draft where so many mocks overrated a position as much as what happened to WR this year.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I believe the offense is going to open up. There is precedent here under Heim. I think it's going to happen. We will become a pass first offense in my opinion.

Fish is no doubt conservative, but past history on this one dictates that we are about to spread the field with a high energy offense. Everything is exactly the same as the last time we did this.

5. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I hate to give a coordinator too much credit. But during his first go-around in Nashville, Heimendinger turned no-name, late round wide receivers into playmakers. Derrick Mason, Justin McCariens, and even an undrafted college QB named Drew Bennett. Ben Troupe, who couldn't catch a cold under Chow, caught 55 passes as a rookie. And Steve McNair, who had been an above-average quarterback, became NFL MVP. If you look at that list of names, Heimendinger must be some kind of miracle worker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar