Hawkins Not Doing Enough Yet to Play on Sunday

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: In a position where the Titans need a playmaker, the opportunity is there for rookie WR Lavelle Hawkins. Problem is, though he has shown good hands and speed during training camp and the preseason, he continues to make too many mistakes in practice. "We have a lot of wide receivers, so if Lavelle is not going to do it right, there is somebody else who is going to do it right we can put out there," OC Mike Heimerdinger said. "I like Lavelle. He is a great kid. He just has to learn to be a pro, study it and work." The fourth-round pick feels he's doing better lately and his time will soon come. "This is a job and you have to work hard," said Hawkins. "But I feel like my time is coming."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Come on Hawkins. If you can fix your mistakes, you can be the #2 here. I think Hawkins and Gage would be an OK combo at WR.

3. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Do you? Based on what? A single 50 yard TD catch in the preseason? If the coach thinks that Hawkins is lousy enough to play behind Brandon Jones AND Chris Davis then he obviously isn't doing something right. I'll let them make the call, even though I would like to see him.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

we either draft terrible recievers, or are too stupid to ever play them, and give them a chance.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Out of the 3 recent Wr draft picks the best of the bunch appears to be davis. What does that say?

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I can't say I'm surprised by this at all. The fact is the top of the draft gives you your best chance to get a playmaking wide receiver. Yea I know you can find some in the middle of the draft but it's hard. We keep going the cheap route trying to avoid getting a top receiver. It's not working. How many of the receivers have we drafted are quality starters? I'm counting zero. Paul Williams is looking like a total bust and Hawkins doesn't seem much better. I mean Chris Davis can get on the field his rookie year (not like there's much competition) and Hawkins and Williams can't (with the same poor competition) then that doesn't say a whole lot about Hawkins and Williams.

7. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Let's not call hawkins a bust yet. Remember he was a 4th round pick. We're 5 games into his rookie season and there's typically not a whole lot of difference makers from the 4th round in their rookie year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Good example to back you up: Derrick Mason

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Either we do not evaluate the WR position well, our QB's are that bad, or this is a position we need to address in free agency to get a proven PRO.

You always hear of veterans taking rookies under their wing. I can only imagine how much a young WRcan learn being under Justin Gage's or Brandon Jones's wing.

10. DJB

DJB Starter

I would like the WR depth chart to look like this

1)Gage
    2)Jones
    3)Hawkins
    4)JMac
    5)Williams
    6)Davis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar