Hawkins puzzled by latest deactivation

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

With Damian Williams sidelined by a hamstring injury last week, Titans wide receiver Lavelle Hawkins figured he’d be back in the lineup against Indianapolis.

So it came as a surprise to him that the Titans chose to activate Michael Preston from the practice squad and made Hawkins inactive for the game.

“I thought I was going to be dressed and ready to go, but they had other plans,” Hawkins said Tuesday. “I don’t know (why). All I know is I got a tap on my shoulder saying I’m down, so I’ve got to respect the call.”

Titans coach Mike Munchak had said Monday the team chose Preston for a couple of reasons – as a reward for his good play on the practice squad, and because the 6-3, 205-pound Preston was better able to give the Titans depth at the `X’ position.

That’s probably not much consolation for Hawkins, who’s had a frustrating season.

He caught a career-best 47 passes in 2011 year and signed a three-year, $7.2 million contract during the offseason. But Hawkins has just four catches this year and has been inactive for nine of 13 games.

“As a competitor, you always want to play,” Hawkins said. “There’s a lot of things you can’t control. You never know what’s going on, so you just got to go with it, put a smile on your face.”

Is there anything he can do better to get back in the lineup?

“There’s always something you can do better, whatever you do in life,” Hawkins said. “I’ll just continue to work hard, maybe show them something different, I don’t know.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

play ST and this is much less of an issue you reserve WR on a crappy O

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Add the Hawkins extension to the list of bonehead FO moves. Jeez- enough already. Fire effin Webster and Reinfeldt.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The Hawkins extension to me just shows the disconnect between the coaches and the FO.

5. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

in the event Hawk reads this, don worry buddy, we don't understand ANY the ish they be doin either....

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea Hawkins is a good dude so we don't wanna hurt his feelings, but he's just not that great.

Sorry man, nothing personal. We just gotta find out what Preston can do.

When you've got a 6'5" receiver laying around and your QB likes to go deep, gotta try something out before it's too late and Preston is on another team next year.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The Hawk extension is really puzzling given that we just drafted a guy in Wright who is similar in size and skill set that Hawkins brings. Was the FO really worried about losing him and the impact that it might have on the team.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

preston didn't look too bad. Hawkins is probably done here.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Wait a second.

We re-signed Hawkins in February, it wasn't til April that we knew we'd have Kendall Wright.

So his extension was just to cover their butts in case they didn't land a NFL WR in the draft.

He's cheap enough to keep so they did.

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

agreed.

Its not like LH got top 5 WR money

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar