Haynesworth Agent Doesn't Feel Long-Term Contract Likely

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That's total bullcrap. He set career highs in sacks and tackles in the 2005 season.

Since AH arrived in 2002 he has been our best DT and often our best d-lineman. He has always been our best run stopper and teams often have to use 2 blockers on him.

AH went from being maybe the 9th or 10th best DT in the league to the best but for at least 4 years he was a top 10 player at his position. The issue isn't what we think he should be but what he has been and he has always been a good player he didn't just start in 2007.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think he is a more mature player now who knows his position better and probably does take a more mature approach to the game. He just turned 27 a few days ago and for the next 5 seasons he will be among the best DTs in the game and will make more pro bowls. I hope he does it all for our team.

His handling of the head kicking incident was mature. He said when he got back to his locker and saw his sons picture he broke down because he knew he set a bad example. This isn't some fat guy who got motivated for just one season he has been a fixture in our line for 6 years! He is one of the good guys one of the guys you want to have on your team. It would take 2 good Dts to replace him.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The kevin williams deal.

Last year kevin williams then a 2 time pro bowl DT and also a past first rd pick(9th pick 2004) signed a 7 year $50M deal with $16M in guaranteed money. Almost identical on an annual basis to the roos contract this year @ $7.15M per.

I don't see haynesworth expecting much more than what williams got though he will obviously want more guaranteed money. This has to be in the ballpark of what the titans are offering him. So what is the problem guaranteed money vs incentives?

Another interesting comparison might be the randy starks deal a 5 year $21M deal with $7M guaranteed. Perhaps taking that number and doubling it provides some guidance because certainly haynesworth will believe he is worth twice what his former backup is worth. That would be a 5 year $42M deal with $14M guaranteed. Certainly hayynesworth isn't going to turn down an $8.4M deal with $2.8M a year guaranteed is he?

Again if it seems we can't sign him just try and work a one year deal and then franchise him next year so we get 2 solid years out of him and enough time to develop his replacements.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I think it's worth it to leave him franchised this season, maybe even make the agreement that they want that we won't franchise him again, and then get a deal worked out as soon as next season is over, well before free agency. Don't let him come close to testing the market. We get another season of him really putting his best out there, and then reward him for it. I agree with RT though that he has matured substantially, and been a great DT for several years already.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar