Haynesworth Hopes Franchise Tag Leads to Long-term Deal

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

2. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I hate to site wikipedia, but if you have a more reliable source that says otherwise please post it, but:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nfl#Franchise_tag

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I am just going from memory, I just remember it coming up a player couldn't be franchised two years in a row.

4. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

Often teams will promise not to in order to avoid a hold out, I believe that happened with Asante Samuel and Lance Briggs this season so you could hear that with those two.

5. A player can be franchised more than one, consecutively or not. It's just more expensive than before to do so.

But lots of players won't sign their 1-year franchise tag tender without an agreement from their team saying they won't do it again the following year.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Mostly, it's been covered above. The newest CBA only prevents more than three uses in a row. The players' holdouts have led to teams agreeing not to use it on them again. Hopefully, Al won't hold out.

Another reason behind the holdouts... the agents only get 2% in the second year of the franchise tag (normal is 3%). If the player is franchised a third year, they only get 1 or 1.5 %... so really, the agents are pushing for the holdouts to stop the tag. Agents only get paid when the players do...

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Players and agents like a fat signing bonus up front. In a long term deal haynesworth would probably get a SB more than $7M so why would he want to have to wait for a weekly salary of $43,000 to eventually add up to that at the end of the year?

We don't know how much he really wants and his mention of freeney's deal is troubling because no way in hell he gets that.

Offer him a 7 year deal for about $60M with a $10M SB and he would be a moron not to take it..

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What is our economic situation going into next season? Do we want to have to worry about a new contract for #92 when bironas and stewart will need to be signed? We need to be careful about how we spend and always to take a long term perspective not just trying to limp by year to year. Part of reese's problem is that he gave huge contracts to people that were ordinary like olson and piller. Remember way back in 04 when olson was costing us $8M against the cap and piller $6M? Those guys were not worth it and while we were able to reneg them they still were over paid. Piller couldn't block his own grandmother the last 2 seasons he was here.

You make the committment to the right people and haynesworth is a guy we have to sign and bironas and stewart next year if not sooner. You don't make a huge committment to a guy like odom.

9. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

so you think we should let him go???

10. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

i know there is alot of questions about haynesworth.. if we resign albert will he return to being lazy and not living up to his potential?? will last year be his best year?? trust me i am asking the same questions but the bottom line is we have to take the chance with haynesworth period end of story.. i know its a risk but when you have a young player that is a game changer like albert is you have to sign him..he makes every player on our defense that much better ( when he plays to his potential) and we have to take the chance that he will repeat his 07 performance again..even if he only gives us 80% of his 07 performance it will be 99%better than anyother dlineman in the nfl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar