Haynesworth: No hometown discount for Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Daves not here, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Winning a damn Super Bowl (or five) would fix that pretty quick. That is something this organization needs to understand.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Right, because an ex-NFL player is forced to take a crummy job after he retires... right. The only scenario where that happens is where 1) the player was never a star and had a short career, or 2) the player blew millions, and only has himself to blame. I don't feel bad in either scenario. If you've signed multiple contracts for millions of dollars per year, then you should have been able to have saved enough to be set for life, and you can figure out what you want to do for money, not what you have to.

3. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Just because you dont see 5,000 Titans fans at opposing games doesnt mean that the fan base isnt great here. Sure i wouldnt mind seeing a few hundred blue jerseys at opposing games but players dont sign with teams because half their state travels to away games with them. As for coaches, Fisher is regarded as one of the better coaches in the league,whether you like him or not, its a fact. Theres alot more bad coaches in the NFL then good so i'm glad we have one of the good ones. You hear players around the league and former players always talking good about either Fisher or the time they spent in TN. I'm going to take the players word for it who have dealt with Fish and the organazation first hand over your opinion that seems to be based on personal preference.

4. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I'm confused. Are you saying you would accept $8Million per year from a team you are familiar with over $13M per year if someone is willing to pay it to do the same job?

I guess the real question should be, 'How much $ would you be willing to forego in order to stay in a town you're happy in?' Even this question assumes the player really wants to stay in town. As a top player, I'm sure winning a Super Bowl is important to him, and maybe he feels Tennessee's offense can't offer that. He has been very critical of it in the past.

Or maybe he likes warm weather? I really don't know, he will make the best decision for HIMSELF and he should. It would be naive of anyone to be critical of any decision he makes because no one can know what he wants and needs out of his own life.

I hope he stays in town, and we get good value for him - unfortunately I don't think keeping both of those scenarios in play are possible.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

What do you disagree with? He has the right to get what he can, nothing wrong with that (even though some hometown loyalty and taking a hometown discount is a nice sentimental thing). This guy should already have made enough to live that American Dream well before he gets his next ridiculously huge payday. He will make money all of us (I assume) can't even fathom.

If he's dumb enough to blow those millions and/or have leeches suck him dry, then I have no sympathy. I see people who have had serious bad luck, and who really have problems feeding the family. I know people who have pain issues they have no choice but to deal with at work. If Al has a serious injury, he'll still have earned millions and then he will get an injury settlement on top of that.

I take exception to anyone saying his "career" is done after a few years. People have to find new careers every day. Just because of his name he will have opportunities for other careers after football most other people won't. If he can't make it as a businessman, maybe he has to use his hands like millions of others to earn a living. Sure some guys won't be able to do physical work after football, but many will. There's no reason to assume he won't be able to work after football.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

That's a very different comparison, but as I've said, my problem is that he said he wasn't interested in taking ANY home town discount. Also, he said that the money is his only factor.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]

8. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

He didn't say the money was his only factor; in fact, he has said several times that he would like to remain a Titan. It's a business though. If you start your career at Job A in City A and you really like your boss and all your colleagues but Job B in City B is offering you a 35% higher salary, well, it's time to pack up and roll. I don't blame him for taking the biggest check he can get. I would only be 'disappointed' in him if he were to go to a team like the Lions or Raiders, where he would clearly be playing only for the money as the idea of a Super Bowl would be more or less out of the question there

9. Amishboy

Amishboy Camp Fodder

How many times in that interview was the word "injured" spoken? Whoever signs this guy is gonna get screwed. He WILL lay down after getting some money.

The money is what he is after because he knows he can't play much longer.

10. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

He wont lay down at first, he will go to another team proving to the Titans that they let a beast go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar