Haynesworth: No hometown discount for Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Daves not here, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Actually, he didn't even say that once in the article. He said he's not interested in a hometown discount, at all, unless they give him 100% guaranteed contract (which means never), and he said he "just wants some money." He was lobbed a freaking softball by a reporter, giving him a golden opportunity to say something nice to the fans, but he said the most selfish thing imaginable, and didn't say anything else. That's what is even stupider about this. I don't think he'll get 35% more somewhere else than here, I doubt he'll get more than 10% more.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

stupider... :grrhee:

I want Albert to go the hell on... It's not good to tie that much money up in one guy. I don't want a $40M defensive keystone in our proverbial arch. Let Albert walk. Our defense can be just fine with other players in his stead.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

"Show me the Money!". Honestly, I don't think Bulluck or KVB will answer that question like that next year. His whole dog and pony act will surface once he gets his money and he turns back into the same old Fat Albert.
    I could not see the Titans paying him 12 mil, there's no way they will even consider anything over that.
    Good luck in Oakland Big Al!

4. bgtitanfan

bgtitanfan Guest

Players will always get injured. Is it the players fault for example if a 300 pound man falls on your knee? Or if somebody tackles your knee or hits you helmet to helmet? All im saying is that injurys can happen at anytime. The titans need to sign him to a long term contract, give him the money he deserves. I know one thing though we wouldn't have had the year we had if it wasnt for the big al hurrying all those trows. And if he gets injured I know a lot of you will say oo big al is soft, let me se your knee take a blow from a 300 pound man you wouldnt be able to get up either.

5. Daves not here

Daves not here Camp Fodder

That's the dumbest statement I've heard ... a 2 time Pro-Bowl DT who's getting it, who demands double teams all the time and you just want to let him walk ... Our defense won't be as fine as you think it will be with a 2nd year player in Jason Jones, Vickerson (suspended due to steroids) and I don't even know the other DTs that are on our roster, but I guaran****ingtee you that none of them will ever demand a double team on most if not all plays

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

How is that the dumbest statement you've heard?

Seriously, when I first read your post I thought someone had posted this:

"I personally believe the U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, some...people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, I believe that our education like such as South Africa and, the Iraq everywhere like, such as and...I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., err, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our...

Seriously though.. I'm 60-40% for keeping Al, but if he was to walk I wouldn't lose more than 1 or 2 nights sleep.

I guaran****ingtee that you'd develop into the poster boy for both insomnia and bruxism.

Whats wrong with trying to develop someone you already have on your roster. I don't know how long you've been a Titans fan, but I can tell you that in comparison Jason Jones was better than AH in his early years, and as far as I'm concerned, he could turn into a monster at a fraction of the cost and time it took for Big Al.

Again.. I'm not so much a fan of cutting AH; but I'm curious to why BIP's post (enthusiastic as it might be about trying to develop AH's replacement should he leave) be the "dumbest statement" you've heard..

Now that I think about it, your statement is the dumbest statement I've heard. Thanks for the good laugh.

7. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

I really hope we can keep him.

I understand we have depth and that JJ has showed a lot. Brown IMO has played solid and his presence was felt it seemed in almost every game. But it's Haynesworth! He is one of, if not the key piece on defense. He makes the entire defense better starting with the weight he puts on opposing QB's. I know it's a lot of money and it has risks but with him I think we have to make it.

In 07 when he went down we looked to be a very, very porous defense. No one was getting pressure and our whole line looked weak. The opposing QB's had all the time in the world to torch our secondary. However the next year we really did look better. In 08 when the similar situation occurred the whole team seemed to have improved without him but not to the point that without him we were the same.

Not even close.

I would hope they can agree to something pretty good and have big incentives for the rest making him hungry to play for the money. It doesn't seem to be that he is bending that way but it would be nice. I won't be upset if we lose him however because unfortunately that's the way of the NFL. Sometimes you just can't keep players for a lot of different reasons.

But we should want him.
    AND GET HIM!

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

No matter what, the timing of his contract situation sucks. If Al could only be a Titan one more year before cashing in...

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

It's essential to compare the money to the level of play, and unfortunately a lot of fans only look at the level of play completely disregarding the current and long-term risk in putting that many eggs in 1 basket from a salary cap basis.

I agree with Sec330, I'm not excited about tying up $40M in a guy. Let's say he lives up to his complete potential - well, we've paid him an even and fair amount for those services...not getting any VALUE. Now, lets say he plays 5-6 games a year, is hobbled, has an off the field issue - we have committed salary cap suicide, and with the $ we have tied up already in Vince, we may not be able to recover from that for a VERY long time.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't see the Tennessee fan base as a strong reason for any player to sign with the Titans. Yes, at least we sell out home games, and have a strong home crowd... but we don't compete with several high profile fan bases in the NFL.

EVERY FA does not view Fisher as a good coach. Not every former player has been positive about Fisher.

You can take the players words for it all you want, but my point is each player's personal preference matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar