HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Puck, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OILERTATTOO

OILERTATTOO Starter

That is probably a good move.

I hope many do that and quickly force down the price of their players. The only Blu Ray player worth buying is the PS3 because of its value as something more than a player. It is a quality product.

The HD DVD stand alone players were better than the Blu Ray players and substantially cheaper on top of that. The media was usually cheaper as well.

Blu does offer more storage and that is great, but the storage space on HD DVD was more than enough for the media type being delivered.

Wal Mart put the final nail in the coffin by stating that they are dropping HD DVD in favor of Blu. This comes after they were exclusive with HD DVD citing the claims of it being just as good and cheaper than Blu Ray, which it was.

I happily own both formats and they are essentially equal (slight edge to HD DVD as it was more evolved). Why shouldn't consumers have an option to get something cheaper?

Sony and the corporations decided the next media format for us all. HD DVD really never had a chance. Now, neither do consumers.

Don't worry, we are only a few years away until the need of disc formatted media goes away anyway. Digital *On Demand* downloads are the future and will be here before we know it. Being able to access almost every movie ever made at any given moment without having to possess a *hard copy* sounds wonderful to me.

Later

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

How?

Blu Ray was outselling HD-DVD by a huge number even before some of the companies switched sides.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

the only problem with digital downloads is bandwidth
    you realize downloading a 20gb file would take awhile right ?

4. We probably won't go to widespread digital downloading for a while. iTunes HD movies will work and they are far smaller than 20GB, but they are also not top HD resolution and if too many people used it they'd bog down the internet backbone.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

my 20gb concept refers to an uncompressed 1080p project
    in reality, i just tossed out a number, but that should be close to the actual size of a quality BR pressing

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

fwiw, I am very glad that BluRay won the war
    HD-DVD had some things better implemented, but from what they say BR will be able to do the same things and more

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Who exactly will back digital downloads?

Many people can't afford it (heck many don't have the internet). Sony and all the big companies have a lot invested in HD technology at the moment.
    I sure as hell don't want to wait for a movie to download, or have it corrupted due to bad data downloading issues, or having my whole internet slowed while waiting.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2598.html

Another report of Toshiba throwing in the towel.

9. OILERTATTOO

OILERTATTOO Starter

Its really closer than we think. While, it will not be available to the mainstream for a while......check this out.

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2008/01/13/comcast-introduces-super-fast-internet-concept-at-ces/

Bandwidth that we only dream about is coming!

In the rest of the world, Blu dominated, but it was a close race here in the US. The trojan horse PS3 worked out for Sony and I guess it was only a matter of time before they finally won a format war that they created.

I am pretty sure that sand alone HD DVD players out sold Blu stand alones.

Blu has just now implemented its 1.1 profile and have finalized the spec for the 2.0 profile. Most people only have the 1.0 profile player. The PS3 will be able to be updated to the 2.0 profile. But the one thing that the PS3 is lacking is the full audio support. It still will not pass True HD via bitstream and cannot internally decode or pass bitstream of DTS Master HD audio. No one really knows why the PS3 has not had this supported yet, or if it will ever be. This is no knock on the PS3 as I think it is great, but it seems odd that feature remains the only missing part of it being the perfect Blu Ray player.

Later

10. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

The resolution with the iTunes HD is pretty good, but heavily compressed. The problem with digital downloads is they would have to be heavily compressed. An uncompressed HD file you wouldn't be able to play on a normal computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar