HDTV - a slight return

Discussion in 'Gear' started by CRUDS, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I haven't purchased a TV in the past 5 years and I'm sure things have changed a bunch.
    I'm looking for something in the 55"-65" size range with a budget of $2,500 max.
    Don't really care about 3D but I won't rule it out if the value is there.

Anyone have an opinion on what best fits these numbers - or advise on what specifically to look for besides the usual 1080p jazz -lemme know...

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Seems like nowadays you're paying ~$100 for every 10".

I bought my 47" TV 4 years ago for $900, now the same TV is close to half the price.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

That's what she said..

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

I'm 80 bucks short.

damn.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Personally, LCD is still my favorite. LED is not as bright and I don't care enough about saving energy to fork over $200 extra.

You would be able to get a 55" Samsung (my favorite) LCD for well under $2500. In fact, it would be more like $1000.

If you want Plasma, go with Panasonic. They make the best plasmas. I don't care for plasmas, but Panasonic had one last year that was considered the best TV on the market.

I currently have a 32" Samsung LCD 720p (on that small of a TV, the difference between 720p and 1080p is miniscule) which I have had for almost 4 years now. In fact, my TV actually looks better than a lot of bigger 1080p TVs IMO. I keep telling myself I need to get a new TV, but something always stops me. The next TV I get will be a 46" Samsung LCD for sure... I've seen them for around $600 at times.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Go to the store and see which one football looks the best on. Best strategy there is. Bright colors on dark colors, fast action and lots of movement.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Seems all the online comparative articles still go on about plasma v LCD, which to me is now an older argument. The wife and I differ on that subject as I prefer our Pioneer elite plasma (which is actually only 720) and she likes our Panasonic LCD over the brightness deal like RSB says. My eyes are unnaturally sensitive to light (I'm the guy you'll find with sunglasses on indoors - which I catch more hell over. They're prescription dangit!)

So I guess my question is - are the smart TV & 3D bells and whistles worth a darn or just wasted cash? I'm definitely looking at the fast action diffs as Fry suggests as well..

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

All that extra stuff is a waste of money IMO.

I think you're going to want that Panasonic plasma... It's the VT50, I believe. Go to Best Buy and try it out. I think it only comes in 3D too. Probably right around $2000-$2500.

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

It's all subjective. For me, they're not quite worth it at this point in time.

I'm actually in need (well, want) of a new "main" TV as well. But I've decided to hold off for a bit and see where the market goes. I have a feeling that Smart TVs are really going to catch on and advance quickly. Then a year or two down the road everyone who doesn't have one is going to be dying to upgrade.

I don't want to be stuck in that boat of "Ahh crap, I JUST bought a TV a year ago but now I gotta have this pimp daddy latest and greatest technology." So I'm personally going to take a 'wait and see' approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar