Head Coach thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Yes, not as HC though

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Personally i prefer a defensive oriented coach. Most of the top coaches who will be in the post season are either defensive oriented or balanced.

The blueprint for long term success is provided by the Steelers and Ravens more so than the Saints or Packers who have had the good fortune of having hall of fame Qbs something we have not had since Warren Moon.

John Fox is a defensive oriented coach and that has not kept the offense from being great. Fox went to a super bowl with Jake Delomne for crying out loud so of course he is going to succeed with Manning.

I just think building a great defense is more realistic and we can still score a lot of points. A top 10 defense at least gets you to the post season.

For that reason i'm open to a Rex Ryan or Lovie Smith.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

How is Chuck Knoll even remotely similar?? He showed improvement every year from '69-'71 and didn't dip below .500 until '85. Munchak's team is going backwards in the results column!

4. Razorbacks

Razorbacks #WooPIgSooie

I agree with prefering a defense-centric head coach. High flying fancy offenses tend to squeak out wins in shootouts or lose high scoring games.. they either wear out their offensive players with the hurry up and tons of snaps or they wear out their defense by scoring quickly and keeping their D on the field the whole game.

I much prefer a solid balance, stout defense, and a balanced offense that sustains drives.. although you never turn your nose up at a score, there is such a thing as an inconvenient offense even if they are scoring touchdowns.

Big O line, big back, and a game manager at QB working with a shutdown defense, IMO, is the best game plan.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Simple answer to show similarity. Both Chuck Knoll and Munch did not make playoffs in first 3 years.

Of course Munch actually had a winning season though.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Sure, but at least Knoll was trending upwards, which I would consider the most important factor in deciding whether to keep or fire a HC.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

I am not going to compare munch to other head coaches. I just feel he is incompetent as a head coach and we need changes going forward. My biggest argument to fire him is because he does not make any changes at the half. The team comes out with no fire under the belt to win the game and we have failed to close games out. He needs to GTFO! We can do 5-11 with any coach, why should he stay!

8. Alex1939

Well I mean what did I say when I posted this....

"Does that mean I think Munch could be the next Chuck Knoll, hell naw. But I think it has to be mentioned that there are similar situations where coaches had great success."

There are several great all time coaches that did not make playoffs the first 3 years. Don't see what is wrong with pointing that out.

9. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

you make a valid point but I just don't see Munch leading the Titans to the playoffs much less another season with above .500 record. He does not make adjustments at the half and other teams do and this is why we partially fail to close games out, just sayin!

10. Alex1939

Didn't I just say basically the same thing???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar