Head Coach thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I think you're spot on the lack of development of our draft picks. And that is SOLELY, 100%, ENTIRELY (etc.) on coaching. The only staff I can recall who was excellent at player development was Washburn. He could take an average athlete with a high motor and develop them into an upper echelon player. And we know what he did with a "freak" athlete.

I think the MAIN problem with why this franchise is stuck in the mud when it comes to playoffs and SB runs is that we hire FAMILIAR coaches. It was a reflection of Bud's "old school" approach toward business. Namely, surround yourself with with people you KNOW to be loyal. In academic settings (and some occupations) that is a formula for a slow death. There are no new ideas or approaches to problem solving with this ideology. The product of hiring within is that there is always a couple of problems that persist because what is hired from within isn't capable of solving that problem.

With the Titans, I believe that is drafting and player development. And our game planning is stuck in "safe" or "ball-control" mode to keep games close. That is a real problem with how the league rules are set up to favor QB/WR play and high scoring. The Titans MUST adapt if they are ever going to win it all. Titans' fans are understandably frustrated with losing, but even worse IMO fans are BORED with watching the team muddle around in close games in which they win less than half. And honestly, winning about 60% of "close" games is the max upside of playing a "ball-control" style.

Let's stop the debate about whether or not we'd ever get there with Munch as HC. He had his chance, this franchise "owes" him nothing further. The franchise "owes" the paying fans more than anything else.

1. Fire Munch and Co.
    2. Hire outside of organization (somebody young with PROVEN credentials at OC/DC level).
    3. Put Webster on notice that he has 2 years to turn this franchise around.

And get Bruce Matthews the f*ck out of coaching our players at ANY level. That water head hasn't done chit with our OL.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

You're EXCATLY where I stand. I also love Ray Horton, but he's not much of a "QB developer" being a defensive mastermind. Same with Lovie Smith. If we landed Ray Horton, we would need to find a legit offensive coordinator... someone to take complete control of our offense. Probably a QB coach somewhere would be the best bet. Ray Horton would have this defense elite in 1 year, just look at the turnaround he did for Arizona & Cleveland. Elite defense + new QB + Hunter/Wright = success

However, Bill O'Brien & Darrell Bevell would be great. I doubt we can convince O'Brien to leave Penn State. I'd also love Greg Roman, David Shaw, & Adam Gase.

There's also some current head coaches that would make great coordinators.. Dennis Allen & Rex Ryan for example.

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I'm skeptical of Bevell but you make a good point about our history "developing" QBs.

Ray Horton, Mike Zimmer, Lovie Smith are my top 3. But I'd be fine with O'Brien and to a lesser extent Bevell. Really anyone who's QUALIFIED and isn't Mike Munhak would put a smile on my face at this point.

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Exactly. I really never understood our philosophy in that regard. It's not even like we are an organization with some great history of success. If we were then MAYBE it's understandable (although still probably not ideal as a general rule). But replace "outdated and mediocre" with a disciple of "outdated and mediocre" and expect to somehow magically transform into an elite team. It defies all logic.

That's really about the best and most succinct way to put it. And I don't see how anyone can argue any different. Particular said paying fans.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I like Zimmer, but he is a major azzhole and rubs brass and some other coaches the wrong way. I'm not sure he'd go far as a HC. He is EXCELLENT with players but I think his peronality limits his ability to effectively handle the other duties of a HC.

I don't know enough about Bill O'Brien to comment. Can anybody give a synopsis of his strong points (and weaknesses)?

Greg Roman is my favorite so far.

6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Roman is my favorite as well. He does some innovative things with the run game/blocking schemes. Seems to really use his personnel well.

I totally agree with Riverman's earlier statement about how Munch's philosophy of being an old school run dominated team just doesn't fit with the new rules. The rules are so much in favor of the QBs/WRs that you have to take advantage of it and be a pass first team to set up the run.

Will be very interesting to see how things work out.

7. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

What about Lovie Smith?? I liked what he did for years with the Bears. They made the playoffs all the time. Bears are just tired of not winning the big one with how big their market is. Bears always had a good D while he was there.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm from Illinois, get stuck watching the majority of Bears game. I get all the press conferences, local shows (FOX Sports/Comcast) & all the other BS about the Bears. Here's the low down on Lovie:

Great HC record: 83-61 in 9 seasons. He's not a high-risk, high-reward guy. You know exactly what you're going to get with Lovie. We know what Lovie wants to do: dominant defense that takes away the football and a heavy running game. Sounds very Munchak-esque. With that being said, players ALWAYS respected Lovie and never second guessed him. When he was fired, many of the players were heart broken. He had a very Jeff Fisher like career with the Bears.

He's a well respected coach. Hasn't won the "big one", always near playoffs. Wants a dominant D & a strong run game. Today's NFL is all about the pass game, and Lovie has never excelled in the pass game, ever. Personally, i've always wondered how much Lovie deserved the credit to the D over Rod Marinelli. Marinelli was the DC &DL coach (very much like we had Washburn). One positive is if we get Lovie, Rod likely comes as a D/C.

My personal want is a offensive minded head coach. Somebody who can develop a QB and turn our offense into something elite. I wouldn't mind somebody like Lovie or Ray Horton, if we can package with a legit offensive coordinator. Lovie you know what we'll get, Ray is a high risk/high reward guy potentially. I'm just worried Lovie is another Fisher.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

For those wanting to get rid of Munchak, please post a list of Head Coaching candidates you think are an upgrade. The only names I see out there and available are Jon Gruden, Brian Billick, and Ken Whisenhunt. I don't see Gruden or Billick coming here which leaves Whisenhunt who will be at the top of everyone's list.

10. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

Add my high school football coach to the lost. 4 straight state titles = better pedigree than Munch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar