Heard Haynesworth Interviewed Yesterday

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

...on Sirius radio. Adam Schein had him on. It was kind of interesting, and kind of evasive, as you'd expect.

Naturally, the contract was talked about extensively, but they somewhat got into the offers other teams had made. Said Tampa was behind the Redskins in terms of offer size, but kind of waited until the end of this part to mention "though they didnt make their highest offer until after I had already accepted the Redskins offer," and I thought he painted it as though they weren't serious, or as much as they should be, perhaps suggesting "they weren't ready." Up to that point, he said he loved Tampa, the fans, loooved being on the water tremendously and really liked the organization. In the end, though, he said the market would have been another Nashville, which is why he made the decision to go to Washington.

He raved -- or rather, used as a bit of a shield (which makes some sense, since he's not really known for prolonged interviews, and this seemed to ride on fifteen minutes) -- the size of the Washington market (Number ten in the world he stressed a couple of times, the exposure the location brought, and really talked endlessly about his legacy, wanting "to be known as the best to ever play the game," then falling back to "best defensive tackle to ever play the game." Then they laid the New York Giants on him and asked what about that market? Apparently the Giants were third in the running, which I either didn't know, or forgot since that first week of free agency, and that raised my eyebrows. He said the Giants would have made him the highest-paid defensive lineman ever, but that was about it. Nonetheless, they were third in the running. Denver was fourth, but couldn't do much at all, he said, with the new coach and all the changes and waiting to see. They said keep them informed, but said they were out early.

Haynesworth made a point to say Tennessee only made one offer to him, and none when the bidding actually started. He said, "but that's how they do defensive lineman. Everyone knows that." Of course Schein went back to Gurode and asked questions about playing for money to which (and he did answer the Gurode questions well, which I always thought he was sincere about, and the interviewers (guest) did, too) he referred back to his legacy, his children, setting an example for them to be the best at whatever they do, etc., said he wanted to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. He said his development even to the Gurode point was normal, and that he got better every year and that money was not hsi motivation, again. But then he would dodge questions like "Why do you think you fell out of favor in Tennessee?" "Uhhh...I don't know, really. It's hard to say." He went out of his way to say "when you fall out of favor with certain people" to which Schein would prod "Like who?", Albert said, "I can't name any names." Of course. Schein had just asked about being the player of his caliber, why didn't he enjoy more of a special relationship with Fisher and Washburn? Again, it would be "I'm not really sure." They were trying to get him to talk about the Titans anyway, but everytime they lured him into speaking about the team, he would retreat just as quickly.

He did say he was in Knoxville currently, and maybe that Manning was as well, but that they had spoken recently, and Manning told him he was what they had to gameplan for. Haynesworth was asked about the Titans' future without him, and that was the meat of his reply. He didn't say we would tank or anything, but it was a bunch of blah blah until he shared that bit. He insinuated the rest of the defense wasn't bad, but wasn't special, was my take. He clearly didn't pump them or stand by them enough here, unless I was just distracted by traffic.

He was asked about Vince Young's future in Tennessee and whether they thought he was tough enough to make it there. Haynesworth said first Vince was a great friend of his, but that no, he did not think he would make it in Nashville. Again, when you fall out of favor with certain people, you don't make it back from that. He said that was also characteristic of the Titans' organization. He did say that Vince would succeed elsewhere and could still potentially have a Hall of Fame career. Just probably not with the Titans. He said they wouldn't do anything this year, probably, because of the cap number, but after that, he's probably gone.

They brought up the tampering allegations along with the free agency stuff. That was when he said TN made only one offer from after the playoffs forward, and none when FA began. He said Tennessee was just after something for nothing (this is when he brought up the "that's how they do" part above). Schein asked how he could have so many detailed offers within such a small period of time without having prior communications, and Albert started running down teams and times, but the first time he named was 12:15 a.m. (Redskins) and basically counted maybe three or four teams/calls between that time and 1 a.m., but said a couple of times there were many more teams interested than were named.

Anyway, decent interview, lot of hokey related to the Titans. If he fails, it will be the biggest FA bust of all time. A couple of parts ringed true - that basically we knew the chance of the Titans resigning him, much less going way out of their way to do so was limited, but he himself admitted he wanted out and decided that kind of far back (this was at the beginning of the interview). He did this piss poor analogy, which I just remembered. He said (in his sometimes unusually whiny voice for his size) you know how you're in Kindergarten, and you're in this same elementary school for years, and years? Then you go into first and second grade? I'm like "Are you serious?" Anway, he carries on and on about it (prepared material) and lumbers on to the fifth grade, and says something about you're still the same kid to all those teachers, and that you want to be grown up and go to middle school and crap.

He revealed the Skins were implementing some (a lot) of the same stuff the Titans do (big surprise).

Schein did say that even with him they thought the Redskins right now were still the fourth team in that division, and Haynesworth didn't really argue that.

• High Five High Five x 5
  2. DCMobInc

DCMobInc R.I.P Air McNair #9

Sounds ungrateful to me! Jim Washburn and the Titans made him what he is so he could get that $100M payday.

1st ballot HOF? I doubt it. He might make it eventually, but no way 1st ballot. He hasn't even finished an entire season as a starter and he was really only dominant the last two season.

I'm not bitter that he left us, because I doubt we would have gotten the last two seasons type of productivity out of him anyway, but his sheer ungratefulness leaves a sour taste behind.

Eh, whatever, best of luck to you AH. I don't wish you ill will, but if you have a lackluster career the rest of your time in the league, I doubt I will care. At least you got paid.

3. TitansOwnAll

TitansOwnAll Camp Fodder

Albert using analogies involving elementary/middle school is quite fitting. That's where his education plateaued.

:ha:

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

4 games before he's hurt.

Ends the year with 8 sacks max.

Never warrants 70 mill, much less 100.

5. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Nice Sig :ha::ha::ha::ha:

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Thanks for the recap very interesting!!!!

I don't like to admit it, but I agree with a lot of what Al has to say about the way our organization runs business. If we don't get a championship soon, some of that needs to change.

It's clear the national reputation is that we don't take care of our players or treat them well. I can certainly understand why Bulluck thinks he's gone... he's probably right.

7. Titans&SkinsFan

Titans&SkinsFan The future is wearing #10

lol that 8 sacks would be 1/3 of last years sack total...I'd be fine if he got 8 sacks

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. amy

amy Starter

"That Titans' distance sure doesn't translate in the win column like Washington's closeness does: The Titans are 35-29 in the last four years, the Redskins 32-32."

I don't think closeness and distance has been the main factor in winning games. There are way too many other varibles. It's like school teaching. I've never seen great things in a classroom where the teacher wants to be buddies with the students.

9. PassTitansPass

PassTitansPass Starter

Kuharsky is dead on in his assessment. It's easy for Haynesworth to lay it all at the feet of Fisher, Adams and the media, but he forgets that just a few short years ago, he was a persona-non-grata in the NFL. Fat, undisciplined, lazy and on the cusp of being marched out of the league. As with Pacman, the Titans stuck it out with Haynesworth, and I'd venture to say Haynesworth got the best of the deal. He doesn't have a single thing to complain about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar